Talk

Advanced search

How do I make rice pudding so the rice mixes in properly with the milk, you know like in a tin of rice pudding..?

(14 Posts)
nopainnogain Sun 07-Sep-08 13:14:18

That´s it really.. When I make rice pudding the milk is always completely separate from the rice..
Thanks!

elliephant Sun 07-Sep-08 13:16:54

Cook it longer at a lower temp so all the milk is absorped perhaps. Do you cover it when its cooking - if so remove the lid about 1/2 hour before end time

nopainnogain Sun 07-Sep-08 13:21:04

Will try that then! Thanks Elliephant!

foxinsocks Sun 07-Sep-08 13:22:02

do you use the pudding rice rather than normal rice? I find that sucks up the milk more (the puddingrice)

Soapbox Sun 07-Sep-08 13:23:34

Are you using pudding rice? If not, that is your problem.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 07-Sep-08 13:25:17

You could try cooking it on the hob, a bit like cooking normal rice but use pudding rice and milk. I find that it turns out more like the tinned stuff than a baked pudding. (and it only takes about 1/2 hour).

You won't get any crispiness on the top though.

nopainnogain Sun 07-Sep-08 13:31:08

Oh, more solutions!

Yes I do use pudding rice, so that´s not the problem.. Does noone else have this problem then?!

I´m actually making this for a baby, that´s why I want it to mix nicely so lovely crispy bit on top not critical (sadly). If I cook on the hob, do I just boil up then simmer for 30 mins then? Could be better than baking as I´ve just realised the lowest temperature on my oven is 175 ....

onepieceoflollipop Sun 07-Sep-08 13:34:51

nopainnogain I got a great recipe from an NCT baby book.

It was something like 2oz of pudding rice and 1pt full cream milk (if that is the usual ratio). It had no sugar - just the juice of half an orange. Add a bit of dried nutmeg. It tasted fine, not sweet for a lot of adult's tastes but I would eat it. Yes, just bring to boil and simmer for around 30 mins, may need slightly more. I give it the odd stir.

Watch it carefully as it boils over very easily. I use a ridiculously big saucepan as I hate scrubbing the hob! Also I hate having the oven on for hours as it costs so much in comparison to one gas ring.

nopainnogain Sun 07-Sep-08 13:37:17

ok, thanks for that, off to try it on the hob.. making stewed fruit at same time so thought the rice and fruit could be mixed and frozen at the end.. Any problems freezing it do you think?

onepieceoflollipop Sun 07-Sep-08 13:38:40

I've not frozen it but don't see why not? Just make sure to reheat properly (as with all rice)

We recently had rice pudding with stewed rhubarb - very yummy.

SoupDragon Sun 07-Sep-08 13:46:14

I've had this problem too. I have frozen it successfully but you may need to add extra milk when you thaw and reheat it.

nopainnogain Sun 07-Sep-08 19:44:22

Thanks everyone, finally made perfect rice pudding! It was really good mixed with apple/pear puree as well..

onepieceoflollipop Sun 07-Sep-08 21:23:32

That's great nopain. We never have enough in this house to freeze it. Dh has a gluten free diet and is always on the lookout/scrounge for puddings he can eat.

I often make double those quantities!

QuintessentialShadow Sun 07-Sep-08 21:28:53

I find that the best rice pudding is made from Risotto rice. Cooked on the hob for 20 minutes. 2 dl rice, 09 l milk. grin My boys love it cold too, with sugar and cinnamon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now