Talk

Advanced search

URGENT - crumble topping recipe please?!

(19 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sat 06-Sep-08 19:33:26

A quick and easy one, I cant remember what goes in it....please don't say I must have oats hmm

<waits anxiously>

fryalot Sat 06-Sep-08 19:34:35

flour
butter
sugar

rub in till it's lumpy and put on top of your fruit grin

Overmydeadbody Sat 06-Sep-08 19:35:00

flour

half quantity butter to flour

sugar (brown is nice but any will do)

stripeymama Sat 06-Sep-08 19:35:46

Flour, sugar, butter.

I just make up quantities til it tastes/feels right. Oats are good but non-essential.

Also you can do muesli with sunflower oil mixed in til it goes, well, crumbley.

Overmydeadbody Sat 06-Sep-08 19:36:18

my favourite:

½ cup plain white flour
cinnamon
3 tbsp butter
¼ cup brown sugar

TheFallenMadonna Sat 06-Sep-08 19:37:07

8 oz flour
3 oz butter
3 oz sugar

Nicer with half oats half flour wink

PavlovtheCat Sat 06-Sep-08 19:37:44

<wipes brow>

Phew!

I am glad I guessed it right!

Now, fruit - freshly picked blackberries and bramley apple. Do I cook the apple for a few minutes or is it ok raw before going into the oven? I am not going to cook the blackberries.

PavlovtheCat Sat 06-Sep-08 19:38:57

squonk I like your technique, its the one I will be using!

TheFallenMadonna - I like it with oats too, but I have run out and did not get any at shops a minute ago...

fryalot Sat 06-Sep-08 19:39:10

I would cook the apple till it's soft.

If you want to be really indulgent - add a bit of sugar and a dash of whisky or brandy to the apples then just simmer them for a while till you can stick a knife in and it comes out easily

<<<droools>>>

Waswondering Sat 06-Sep-08 19:39:59

I would give them a couple of mins on the hob with some butter and cinnamon to soften slightly.

If too many blackberries, they freeze and can be cooked from frozen.

(V hard toffees are awfully nice popped through the apples before the crumble topping - gives you a gooey toffee apple crumble!)

ClairePO Sat 06-Sep-08 19:40:02

Spooky - I just made a blackberry and apple crumble. I cooked the apples on the hob with a tablespoon of water and two tablespoons of sugar until they were slightly soft but not all pureed, let them cool then put them in the dish and mixed in the blackberries.

PavlovtheCat Sat 06-Sep-08 19:48:41

Well I sort of did a version of several and made a bit too much!!!

Who wants to come over for crumble and Vanilla custard?!!

fryalot Sat 06-Sep-08 19:49:16

me, me, me!!!

PavlovtheCat Sat 06-Sep-08 19:52:17

Ooooh Squonk - you are soooo right! A dash of whisky, seeing as I am making Manhattans!

ClairePO - How did yours come out?

We are having this for our dinner! Sod proper food, it is saturday afterall!

roisin Sat 06-Sep-08 19:53:11

I always make huge crumbles, but the boys usually eat loads.
They (and dh) also like cold crumble with cold custard shock Bleurrggghhh...

PavlovtheCat Sat 06-Sep-08 20:10:31

roisin oooh cold crumble and custard Mmmmmm!

It is in, the crumble was not very crumbly I have to say, but it has been on the side for 20 mins so think the butter melted a bit...should be ok though?

I have just made two diddy ones for 2yo dd. Should I cook them and then freeze, or freeze uncooked?

roisin Sat 06-Sep-08 20:59:40

Have you put crumble on them?
I always freeze the stewed fruit, then put crumble topping on after de-frosting.

PavlovtheCat Sun 07-Sep-08 07:33:19

roisin sorry I did not go back o computer last night, too full of crumble!!

It was gorgeous! It was crumchy and a bit chewy in places, the apple was sweet and the blackberries were a little tart, just perfect.

Covered with Vanilla Custard. Unfortunately I decided to cook DDs too, then just blast under the grill for a crisp after defrosting, but I forgot about them and they are burnt sad. They were only small ramakins though, and we have a little leftover so DD will have it today for her pudding. Minus the custard, that is not for adults!

roisin Sun 07-Sep-08 19:19:30

We went brambling again today, so had apple and bramble crumble for tea: Yummy!

I used bramleys, so the apple was especially tasty.

Last time I put some oats in the crumble topping, but everyone else prefers it without oats, so they were happier today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now