Talk

Advanced search

Wonderful friend needs a cake but a gluten free one - any ideas????

(10 Posts)
Medowflowers Sat 06-Sep-08 18:05:51

Are there any cake recipies out there with no flour, or a really good recipe using an alternative ( is it rice flour??)

Pannacotta Sat 06-Sep-08 18:14:25

You can use rice flour or even ground almonds instead of ordinary flour.
I don't have any recipes to hand but you could look on the BBC recipe finder if you don't get any luck here?

Medowflowers Sat 06-Sep-08 18:16:09

Does it taste OK though - some gluten free stuff is RANK - really dry.

Twims Sat 06-Sep-08 18:17:15

Ooh I had a fab gluten free lemon cake - will try and find the recip for it - it used mashed potato as the starch and sme baing powder to make it rise

Pannacotta Sat 06-Sep-08 18:18:00

Ground almonds with chocolate is lush, seem to remember using a Sophie Grigson recipe once...

NoblesseOblige Sat 06-Sep-08 18:18:08

just bake a cake as you usually would but use gluten free flour. chuck in an extra egg if worried about dryness.

top tip - plain with a dash of baking powerd is actually better than th gf self raising flour.

Pannacotta Sat 06-Sep-08 18:22:31

Here it is and can totally recommend it:www.goodtoknow.co.uk/food/270227/Sophie-Grigson--039-s-Italian-chocolate-and-almond-torte

Overmydeadbody Sat 06-Sep-08 18:30:59

Doves Farm do a range of gluten free flours.

I also recommend finding a recipe that uses ground almonds and chocolate, it's one of my favourite cakes.

Overmydeadbody Sat 06-Sep-08 18:37:35

from bbc food:

This moist-textured cake is best the day after it is made. Serve with whipped cream or fruit, perhaps a berry compote.
Ingredients
5 egg whites (at room temperature)
pinch of salt
75g/3oz caster sugar
175g/6oz ground almonds
1 orange, zest only, grated
1 tbsp orange liqueur (optional)
25g/1oz slivered almonds

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Grease and line a 20cm/8in springform cake tin.
3. Whisk the egg whites with the salt until they stand in soft peaks. Whisking constantly, add the sugar a little at a time. Continue whisking until the mixture is firm, shiny and very thick.
4. Fold in the ground almonds, orange zest and the liqueur, if using, with a metal spoon. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and sprinkle the slivered almonds over the top.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Allow to stand in the tin for 10 minutes, then loosen, turn out and leave to cool on a wire rack.

silverfrog Sat 06-Sep-08 18:42:06

Nigella lawson's clementine cake is gluten free (uses ground almonds) and is lush.

also have a good recipe for a chocolate mousse cake which is very good - can post later after dcs are in bed and I have time to rummage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now