Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a Slow Cooker recipe book please, or d'you have any good recipes you'd like to share?

(18 Posts)
cadelaide Sat 06-Sep-08 10:50:33

thanks

Denny185 Sat 06-Sep-08 11:01:09

braising steak chopped up and sealed in flour and pepper, carrots and onion chopped (and any other root veg you may fancy), half a jug of water, oxo cube (or 2 depending on taste) and good sized glass of red wine. Eat when beef falling apart with mustard mash.

savoycabbage Sat 06-Sep-08 11:01:33

I've got one from M&S which is OK.

Cappuccino Sat 06-Sep-08 11:03:35

I bought one - real food from your slow cooker or something - but it only has about 3 recipes in that we like

I tend to adapt casseroles and stuff

however am lurking because I would love some new ones smile

Cappuccino Sat 06-Sep-08 11:04:01

new recipes, not new books!

cadelaide Sat 06-Sep-08 11:07:41

Yes Capp, I just do the same few things all the time. I keep reading that there's " so much you can do with them", but I'm not having a lot of luck tracking down good books.

An Amazon search yielded lots by the same author that seem to be aimed mainly at the american market, according to the reviews.

I'm thinking of doing chutney this year though, (green tomato), that'll be new for me.

Furball Sat 06-Sep-08 11:08:41

have a shufty here (scroll down abit)

cadelaide Sat 06-Sep-08 11:11:01

Thanks Furball........and denny! smile

Cappuccino Sat 06-Sep-08 11:13:00

yes you are right they are often v american; lots of "buy some great northern beans" or other things that you have no idea about

hockeypuck Sat 06-Sep-08 11:13:00

Money Saving Expert - the martin Lewis website has a whole section of slow cooker recipes.

I do like a nice roast chicken in mone. Plonk the whole chicken in, pour on a couple of pints of hot stock and cook on high for 5 hour, or low for longer. It literally falls apart when you take it out and is so tender and delicious. The next day I use the stock and the leftover chicken to make risotto. Yum

Cappuccino Sat 06-Sep-08 11:14:30

is it that easy? I keep reading about doing a chicken in one, but haven't tried yet

I am a bit nervous of chickens

cadelaide Sat 06-Sep-08 11:17:47

"great northern beans..." grin

Liquid smoke, that's another one. D'you think you could pour it into your drink? How great that would be for all those poor shivering smoking souls huddled outside the pub tonight.

Or have i misunderstood it? grin

Denny185 Sat 06-Sep-08 11:18:12

Have u tried a beef or pork joint in it, prsemably u would do the same with appropriate stock?

cadelaide Sat 06-Sep-08 11:18:53

re chicken, i understand you'd need to brown it first if you want a traditional roast chicken look.

cadelaide Sat 06-Sep-08 16:41:23

hockeypuck Sun 07-Sep-08 08:47:54

cadelaide, yes if you want it to look traditional, but I normally just go for the removed skin and sliced on a plate look. I kid myself about the increased healthiness of a bird with no skin on. Also, it really dos fall apart it's so tender so would be quite hard to place whole on the table (although easier if browned first maybe)
Re: other joints, someone on MN last month said they put a whole shoulder of lamb in theirs on low for 26 hours with nothing else and it was delicious.
I'm going to try lamb next in mine, with a bit of stock and some red wine and see what occurs!

Furball Sun 07-Sep-08 10:14:15

lamb shanks are delish - I rub them with mint and rosemary, chuck em in and leave all day. take them out just before ready to serve and make gravy with the juices in the bottom.

Megglevache Mon 22-Sep-08 17:37:39

do the lamb shanks get covered in liquid? How does it not dry out unless it's bathed in liquid?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now