Talk

Advanced search

Low carb recipes?

(5 Posts)
ali23 Fri 05-Sep-08 12:03:19

Anyone know any good low-carb recipes?
I'm struggling with dinner ideas. DP is diabetic and wants to cut down on pasta, rice, potatoes and noodles - all the things that are the stable of our dinner table.
Any ideas would be well received. Thanks.

TillyScoutsmum Fri 05-Sep-08 12:08:11

Salmon wrapped in parma ham with herby lentils and spinach

Let me know if its your thing and I'll put the recipe on

We eat a lot of omelettes as well

ali23 Fri 05-Sep-08 12:17:46

Sounds good. Could you post the recipe? Thanks. I like omelettes, bu they always seem to end up looking like a dogs dinner! I never seem to manage the knack of keeping them flat and looking easy on the eye!

TillyScoutsmum Fri 05-Sep-08 13:02:46

Wrap skinless salmon fillets in parma ham, squeeze with lemon and black pepper and drizzle with olive oil and bake in the over for about 10-12 mins

Meanwhile - warm a tin of puy lentils in saucepan, drain and put back in pan, add juice of a lemon, 3 slugs of olive oil, s&p and a big handful of fresh herbs (basil, coriander, parsley, mint all work well - 2 or 3 are fine) and a bag of spinach. Keep on heat until spinach and herbs have wilted.

Serve with the salmon and a blob of creme fraiche.

Its really tasty and quick. We're big carb lovers and did think it would benefit from a chunk of bread smile but its great without as well

Omelettes - I do them in the pan, then sprinkle cheese on top and put them under the grill. If I try to flip them over, I end up in all sorts of trouble !

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 05-Sep-08 13:07:30

I eat low carb (mainly blush) and tend not to cook anything particularly different - I just don't have the carb component of a meal. So if it's meat, 2 veg and potatoes, I'll just have the veg, or maybe extra salad.

One of my favourites is 'Chinese' salmon:

salmon steak per person
put in a plastic dish/bowl and slosh over some soy sauce, sesame oil and juice of half a lime or lemon
Finely chop 2-3 cloves of garlic and about half an inch of fresh ginger and sprinkle this on top
season with ground black pepper and oregano (or whatever other dried herbs you have/like) and some dried chilli flakes

marinate for about 30 minutes, then bake in the oven, wrapped in foil, for 20 minutes

I serve this with stir fried green beans/mangetout/baby sweetcorn/asaparagus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now