Talk

Advanced search

Too much salt for 10 month old?

(4 Posts)
mummytummy Mon 21-Feb-05 16:33:15

I usually cook DD2 a similar meal to the rest of the family, but take her portion out before adding stock cubes, etc. Tonight we are having a lasagne, but I'm using the jars of ready made Ragu and white sauce instead of making my own. The salt content listed for the sauce is 0.36g per 100g for the white sauce and 0.44g for the ragu sauce. Is this too high a salt content for DD2 (10 months) to eat?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 21-Feb-05 16:52:07

I'd say this was fine as a one-off, but not as a daily thing, if you see what I mean. I'm basing this entirely on common sense, I don't know what the salt per day value is for a 10-month-old, and anyway, in the nutritional information they normally put sodium, rather than salt, which has to be converted.

But yeah, if your daughter generally has a reasonably low-salt diet, one meal like this will do her no harm. I see lots of babies this age eating crisps in their prams in my neighbourhood, and they all seem to survive!

mummytummy Mon 21-Feb-05 16:53:53

Thanks. I am terrible at understanding these nutrition charts on the backs of cans!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 21-Feb-05 16:55:19

They don't try to make them easy! We bought some mince tarts over Xmas, and all the nutritional information was per 100g, but nowhere did it say a) how many grams per tart, or b) how many grams for the package. So you'd have to start weighing tarts to find out the calories etc!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: