Talk

Advanced search

Quicky please - at what age can you stop chopping up grapes for a little one?

(57 Posts)
RubyRioja Fri 05-Sep-08 07:36:49

I know, work of the devil, chocking hazard etc, so what age are they OK with them not sliced in half?

After that I will tell you how old my pfb was before being allowed nuts blush

juicychops Fri 05-Sep-08 08:15:31

my ds is 3.5 and has eaten grapes whole for quite a while now. i know people will think that is too young but i trust his to hold it in his fingers and bite it in half before putting it in his mouth. and he's not allowed to move off the chair when he's eating them.

he also started eating peanuts quite young because he was sneaking them off the tables when he was 2 blush

juicychops Fri 05-Sep-08 08:17:17

that was meant to say he wa ssneaking them off tables at a party when he was 2. we dont just randomly have peanuts on our tables!!

charchargabor Fri 05-Sep-08 08:17:36

I believe you're supposed to cut them in half until 5, iirc.

BiancaCastafiore Fri 05-Sep-08 08:18:43

I was told to chop them till they were 6 by HV when she spotted dd eating whole grapes at age 3ish. Something about the texture of the skin of a grape making it easy for a whole grape to become stuck in a childs throat if swollowed whole. I have to admit I don't worry too much though.

uberalice Fri 05-Sep-08 08:19:25

Eek, DS2 is 21 months and he's been eating whole grapes for ages! And (peeled) apple. Perhaps it depends on the child.

Jahan Fri 05-Sep-08 10:40:07

My ds has whole grapes now at 3 but I make sure he knows to bite them and is sitting down when he eats them.

A friend who works in a hospital said staff (and family of course) were devastated when a 3 yr old was bought in having choked on a grape sad sad sad

malfoy Fri 05-Sep-08 10:42:32

Are apples a hazard? grapes banned from our house. I know I am being neurotic.

PeppermintPatty Fri 05-Sep-08 10:48:03

Shit, you're supposed to chop them in half???

No one told me this!!

I've being giving DD whole grapes (she's 14 months) blush

RubyRioja Fri 05-Sep-08 11:37:24

I think grapes are the ultimate choking device, so usually chop. I did not get an anwer in time (rotton lot) so I halved and did not do my hair grin.

BTW dd1 was 8 when I realised she had never had a nut!

suwoo Fri 05-Sep-08 11:39:23

God, my DS is 21 months and stopped halving when he was about 18 months ish.

ShowOfHands Fri 05-Sep-08 11:39:24

My 16 month old has been having whole grapes for about 6 months. Just another reason why I'm a bad mum I suppose.

SorenLorensen Fri 05-Sep-08 11:42:16

I still chop them in half for ds2 who will be 7 in December. I'm quite sure I'm overcautious but it's one of my 'things' - my friend's son choked on a whole grape, turned blue, unconscious, ambulance...the whole works (he was OK, the paramedics managed to dislodge it) and I still can't quite bring myself not to chop...

RubyRioja Fri 05-Sep-08 12:04:18

A Friendly doc once told me if you were to design a piece of food, extactly the right shape, size, texture and desnity to choke a child, it would be a grape.

I'll be chopping at their 18th no doubt

FluffyMummy123 Fri 05-Sep-08 12:06:06

Message withdrawn

RubyRioja Fri 05-Sep-08 12:06:49

You just like to walk on the wild side don't you?

FluffyMummy123 Fri 05-Sep-08 12:07:13

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Fri 05-Sep-08 12:08:11

Mine are 7, 5, 4 and I don't chop them up now if they are at home. I still chop them up in the fruit salad I send in with their packed lunches though.

tazmosis Fri 05-Sep-08 12:11:33

A little boy on my road choked on a grape and died when he was 2.6 - so I am still chopping grapes for my DD's aged 2 and 4. I 'll carry on for another couple of years I think. No reason not to - its not hard to do, and the possible consequences of not doing it are so dire.

RubyRioja Fri 05-Sep-08 12:11:43

Maybe I should not chop, dial 99 on the phone so ready, and assume position for heimlich?

LouMacca Fri 05-Sep-08 12:18:04

My twins are 5 and I still chop grapes and cherry tomatoes in half for them.

It takes seconds and gives me peace of mind.

onepieceoflollipop Fri 05-Sep-08 12:23:22

I told dd (now 4.8) a while ago, around age 3, that if she was having whole grapes she needs to sit down and bite into it as soon as it is in her mouth. Same with boiled sweets (which she only gets if in party bags etc) and small cherry tomatoes.

I think that once a child is of an age to understand what you are saying and will cooperate -e.g sit down and bite it, the risks are very low.

malfoy Fri 05-Sep-08 12:42:37

No RR, even experienced paramedics struggle with grapes.

RubyRioja Fri 05-Sep-08 12:44:01

Perhaps dd1's refusal to eat fruit is self preservation wink

izzybiz Fri 05-Sep-08 12:46:58

Dd is 4 and I still cut them at home, If we are out and she has them with lunch she has to stay sitting down and bite then in half.

A grape is perfect windpipe size for a small child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now