Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody know what is wrong with fructose???

(41 Posts)
MilaMae Thu 04-Sep-08 22:49:17

Is it just because it's a sugar?

My uncle is a medical scientist and won't touch the stuff. Thinks it's the food of the devil.

Kind of switched off during the conversation we had ages ago but been wondering lately as seen it in quite a few products.

cargirl Thu 04-Sep-08 22:50:19

yes it's fruit sugar BAD for teeth and lots of calories!

Overmydeadbody Thu 04-Sep-08 22:50:43

eh?

fructose is fruit sugar, it is not the work of the devil.

I'm guessing your uncle actually eats a lot of it in his diet, it's kind of hard to avoid if you eat fruit and veg!

Overmydeadbody Thu 04-Sep-08 22:51:29

same calories as any other suagr cargirl

Kewcumber Thu 04-Sep-08 22:53:28

sugar isn;t anything like as high in calores as fat hmm

Same caloris as white sucrose sugar but lower GI apparently may be helpful to dianetic and poeple like me.

Not sure why it would be any worse than other sugar though?

dancedance Thu 04-Sep-08 22:53:45

Its naturally occuring in fruit, same type of sugar (istrinsic or extrinsic cant remember which)as that found in milk, very hard to avoid! hmm

MilaMae Thu 04-Sep-08 22:57:08

No I don't either.

He does research into diabetes and had a particular problem with it being consumed with fat- I think.

Was just wondering if there was some well known reason I was oblivious to.

Should have payed more attention but the conversation kind of went over my head IYKWIM.

Overmydeadbody Thu 04-Sep-08 22:57:44

Ae you sure he didn't mean high fructose corn syrup?

cargirl Thu 04-Sep-08 23:00:11

I have been told that the sugar found in dairy products is the least damaging to teeth so it's best to finish your meals with that rather than fruit/biscuits etc etc

MilaMae Thu 04-Sep-08 23:01:54

Ahhh could have been. He lives in North America and is very anti the American diet.

What is high fructose corn syrup and is it different to reg fructose????

ellideb Thu 04-Sep-08 23:04:09

Did he mean sucrose? dextrose? glucose? maltose? lactose? I can't see fructose being bad for you as it is a natural sugar from fruit. hmm

ethanchristopher Thu 04-Sep-08 23:04:12

fructose is good

sucrose - super refined sugar
glucose - natural big energy sugar
fructose - sugar from fruit

so fructose is the best of the sugars

Kewcumber Thu 04-Sep-08 23:04:39

took the words out of my mouth - Overmydeadbody. Was just about to ask the same thing.

High fructose corn syrup is manufactured and tends to sneak into everything where its not really needed because its cheap (I think US producers may be subsidised)and makes stuff taste nice.

You're unlikely to eat enough fructose for it to be a problme.

misi Thu 04-Sep-08 23:07:44

it has been widely used by diabetics in place of sucrose (sugar) but a recent study threw up some doubts but I can't remember what they were exactly but something along the lines that if not a diabetic, fructose actually encouraged diabetes in later life but heres a few links;

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070823094819.htm

www.ific.org/publications/qa/fructoseqa.cfm

www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/17/16479/trouble-fructose/

www.drbriffa.com/blog/2003/08/24/fructose/

Kewcumber Thu 04-Sep-08 23:08:11

High fructose corn syrup is essentially manufactured from corn starch, it is not a natural product.

""High-fructose corn syrup" is highly valued by food manufacturers. It's easy to transport in tanker trucks. It isn't susceptible to freezer burn, as is sugar. It has a long shelf life and keeps foods from becoming dry. It gives bread and baked products a wonderful color. It's also cheaper than white sugar, partly because of generous federal subsidies and trade policies that encourage farmers to grow more corn. Fast food chains add it to their products because it is cheaper. It's in the sauces, in the condiments, in the breadings, in the buns and in the drinks. It is the commercially preferred artificial sweetener."

MilaMae Thu 04-Sep-08 23:11:03

Was definately fructose.

So if you ate this corn syrup you'd be getting a far higher serving of sugar then?????? Or would an ounce of high fructose syrup just be the same as an ounce of any other sugar???

Am curious now smile

Overmydeadbody Thu 04-Sep-08 23:13:14

you'd need less corn syrup to get the same sweetness as sugar Mila.

MilaMae Thu 04-Sep-08 23:16:02

Bingo Misi!!!!!!!

That was it, think that was some of the research he was involved in.

Can remember now why I switched off ,your explanation was much better grin

Will keep avoiding it then,damn!!!!!! grin

combustiblelemon Thu 04-Sep-08 23:19:00

I some countries ( I think the USA) they make coca cola with high fructose corn syrup. We use sugar.

Kewcumber Thu 04-Sep-08 23:21:42

Mila if it was genuinely fructose he means - I would rather doubt (unless you are a diabetic with an extremely sweet tooth) that you would consume enough to be a huge problem.

The problem with HCFS is not so much how much sugar it has in it (IIRC about the same) but the way the body breaks it down.

There's piles of stuff on the net about it as the americans add it to everything and its a growing concern.

Kewcumber Thu 04-Sep-08 23:23:01

I thought the problem with fructose wasn;t that it encouraged diabetes (has been proven to improve insulin levels) but that there was allegations of a link to increased heart disease?

MilaMae Thu 04-Sep-08 23:24:07

One of those links seemed to indicate overdosing on fructose whatever it's found in even if from apples isn't a good thing.

Presumably you'd have to eat a lot of apples though whereas the syrup if you drank coke made from it it would be easier to consume too much without realising.

Califrau Thu 04-Sep-08 23:27:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MilaMae Thu 04-Sep-08 23:29:28

He was going on about diabetes being at epidemic proportions in the States. His research is definately into diabetes. The conversation was a while ago and I'm not a medical person at all so who knows.

Interesting though never thought to Google,thought it was his own little concern.

MilaMae Thu 04-Sep-08 23:31:19

We stayed with sil a few times in Seattle and I remember the bread thing,she resorted to making her own. I loved that vegetable bread you can get over there-was probably fructose which made it taste so nice grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now