Talk

Advanced search

Menu suggestions for dinner with colleague

(16 Posts)
Waswondering Thu 04-Sep-08 19:37:08

I have invited a colleague and husband for dinner, in couple of weeks time.

Dh just dropped a bombshell that he doesn't like my amazing venison and chestnut casserole thing that I had planned on making! Gah!

So. Suggestions for a nice meal? He's also announced he's particularly keen on casseroles at all. hmm

So any suggestions for a nice, easy to prepare but amazing main course for 4?

Concerned that eg a roast chicken would be too fiddly and demand too much last minute attention, rather than swishing around being hostessy and having a lovely time. Bit like Nigella! But without the luscious hair. Or the stylist.

Anyhow. I digress.

Main course?

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 04-Sep-08 19:40:30

What about beef wellington? Or individually wrapped fillet steaks?

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 04-Sep-08 19:42:11

Beef Wellington

This is all prepared in advance any way, so you can put it in the oven whilst you're having starters.

Waswondering Thu 04-Sep-08 19:57:32

That does sound nice though I've never made one. Is it fail safe?

harpomarx Thu 04-Sep-08 20:01:13

don't think roast chicken fiddly at all - obviously you do have to check it's cooked but other than that it does itself.

I do mine with loads of lemon, garlic and olive oil. loads of veg in the pan (pots, onions, peppers, sweet potatoes, squash). Just baste lots to begin with and by the end it's looking after itself. Also, you should rest chicken for a bit after cooking so that gives you a good 20 mins after it's finished cooking.

otherwise - curry? or does that fall under dh's 'no casserole' embargo?

cafebistro Thu 04-Sep-08 20:06:58

There is a receipe for tomatoey meatballs in Delia Smiths first book ( sorry dont know what its called). My Dad made this recently for a family get together and it went down a treat. He served it with mashed potatoes and veg ( baby corn, cauli and broccoli).

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 04-Sep-08 20:10:09

Yes, it's easy - especially because you can do it during the day when you have got the time and no-one breathing down your neck!

FluffyMummy123 Thu 04-Sep-08 20:10:52

Message withdrawn

tassisssss Thu 04-Sep-08 21:31:21

ah, 10 years into marriage he announces he doesn't like your venison casserole. oops. in our house there would have been tears. then flowers.

I'd do roast ham (bung in oven and forget about), oven roast veg (as previous) and garlic creamed pots the nigella way.

I do the above regularly for such events. Never mind so I can swish about being hostessy but so I can whizz around and tidy up, put children to bed, give dh 300 phone messages etc etc.

(if you do go with above do cook way more pots and veg than you think possible to eat as the leftovers are wonderful and hey you can attack them straight from the fridge in the middle of the night should you want to be Nigella-ish)

so, starter and dessert?

Waswondering Thu 04-Sep-08 21:32:05

I KNOW!!!!

I am thinking he may have to get over the casserole thing. I love them!!

Waswondering Fri 05-Sep-08 19:24:45

Roast ham . .. maybe.... but it's a bit porkish. Dietry requirements are no fish, no pork and no cheese. Everything else is ok.

I'm dithering between telling dh the venison casserole is divine, so tough, or making your (tassissssss) multi-pot chicken and broccoli bake, the recipe for which I found this evening.

Starter - probably soup. Either carrot or parsnip or butternut squash and apple.

Pudding - maybe choice of 2, one of which will be Nigella's instant choc mousse. Not sure of other yet. Maybe clementine cake as that with the choc cake is lovely though not sure about clementines in September!

Decisions . . .

tassisssss Fri 05-Sep-08 20:23:34

Yes i agree ham too like pork.

is it the colleague i know?

bit early in the year for clem CAKE i feel, though there was xmas in debenhams today.

haven't made chick thibg for ages.

am i right in thinking your dh doesn't do red cabbage either (philistine!) whuch is the only thing that goes with venison IMO.

is the nigella mousse in N \express?

(sorry about typing - worse than usual- feeding Becks)

SquiffyHock Fri 05-Sep-08 20:27:58

I do a really lovely tarragon chicken if that floats your boat? You use chicken legs - it is, in essence, a casserole but as it's whole legs it doesn't feel like it. Does that make any sense?? Easy to serve with mash and green veg.

Waswondering Fri 05-Sep-08 20:40:45

SH - if you could post the casserole I'll road test it first.

Tass - kisses to Becks (can't wait till Thursday!)

Yes, one and same. Really looking forward to it, especially as I've only met her dh v briefly.

Sighs . .. indeed, re the red cabbage. Ditto sweetcorn. And fish pie. But he's really lovely apart from that wink!

I agree re clem cake . . . just thinking about easy things. I'd wondered about a crumble, but it's possible none of us would ever move again if we had that, following from soup and hearty fare!

Decisions . . .

(Nice to have dh back?)

SquiffyHock Sat 06-Sep-08 18:47:48

Casseroled Chicken Legs with Tarragon & Creme Fraiche.

30g flour
4 chicken legs, skinned
1tbsp sunflower oil
knob of butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
garlic clove, crushed
2 flat field mushrooms, finely chopped
100ml chicken stock
50ml white wine
4 tbsp dijon mustard
1 heaped tbsp fresh tarragon leaves, roughly chopped
140ml creme fraiche

1) Season the flour with salt and pepper then coat each chicken leg in it.
2) Melt oil and butter in a frying pan, brown the chicken legs then set aside.
3) Using same oil, fry the shallot, mushrooms and garlic until soft. Add any leftover flour and stir in the stock and wine. Bring to the boil then add the mustard and tarragon. Remove from heat.
4) Arrange chicken in a lidded casserole and pour the sauce over the top - cook for 30 mins at (approx 200 celcius - it's an Aga recipe, top oven is quite hot) Then turn oven down to 150 C - gas 2 and cook for 2 hours.
5) Remove chicken to warmed plate and reduce the sauce until it has thickened - whisk in the creme fraiche and check seasoning.

notes
1) it sounds like a lot of mustard but it is not too strong at all
2) DH hates mushrooms but loves this - I think because they are chopped so finely.
3) It is an Aga recipe and they give the temp for the slow cooking bit but not the first 30 mins. In the Aga you roast it in the top oven then transfer to the simmering oven.

Waswondering Sat 06-Sep-08 20:05:08

Sob . . . I don't have an aga . . . but my mother does and I'll share this with her.

It sounds really lovely.

Decided on harvest apple cake for pudding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now