Talk

Advanced search

Pears, pears, pears... what to do with them, please?

(9 Posts)
lovecat Thu 04-Sep-08 16:56:04

Have already made crumble with the ton of plums in my weekly fruitbox, which leaves me with a shedload of fast-softening pears to deal with. DH eats them raw but only rarely, I don't at all <vom> so any non-crumble recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Ta v. much

rosmerta Thu 04-Sep-08 23:16:34

Can't think of anything other than crumble I'm afraid! How about having a search on the BBC recipe website. I find that useful (well, sometimes!)

MakemineaGandT Fri 05-Sep-08 10:35:14

They are lovely poached in a sugar syrup with a few cardamom pods and pinch of saffron strands - cooled and kept in fridge they last quite a while

(Sarah Raven recipe btw - her Garden Cookbook)

BlingLovin Fri 05-Sep-08 12:39:06

Gordon Ramsay has a poached pear, served with Marscopone cheese recipe that is out of this world. Heavily alcoholic and time consuming but DELICIOUS. And very impressive looking.

<<bling scurries off to see if she can find it online>>

BlingLovin Fri 05-Sep-08 12:42:32

Mmm... I can't get the search to narrow down. I have it written down at home so can look if you are keen but will be later.

lovecat Fri 05-Sep-08 19:05:22

Ooh, they both sound nice! <salivates>

Bling, if it's no bother I'd love the recipe when you've got time

(in the short term I made Nigella's choc pear pudding from her Express book - figured fresh overripe pears would do as a substitute for tinned and it turned out very nicely - but I got another shedload of the things in today's box, so that recipe would be very handy!)

Califrau Fri 05-Sep-08 19:07:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Fri 05-Sep-08 19:07:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lemontart Fri 05-Sep-08 19:09:34

my sister makes a lovely Christmas fruit chutney with pears. We get a spiced jar of the stuff every year. I think Delia has a fast spiced fruit chutney recipe that can be ready for Christmas time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now