Talk

Advanced search

Spring rolls - filo pastry or proper spring roll wrappers?

(7 Posts)
Tinkjon Thu 04-Sep-08 16:18:58

Have just bought some filo pastry to make spring rolls with, as per a recipe. But I've just read about spring roll wrappers - what are they, are they just filo pastry anyway, cut into the right shape, or is it something else? I wanted the authentic (well, authentic from a takeaway, that is!) taste - I have eaten spring rolls loads of times but for the life of me I can't think if they're made of filo pastry or something else!

Tinkjon Fri 05-Sep-08 08:16:19

bumpity-bump, anyone?

suzywong Fri 05-Sep-08 08:32:58

go to your local Oriental store and buy spring roll wrappers
filo will do but you sound pretty fussy

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 05-Sep-08 08:38:20

Filo pastry is, I think, different - although not that much as it is often used as a substitute.

If you're really keen, I have a recipe to make them, somewhere. I've never done it myself, but will dig the recipe out for you if you want?

suzywong Fri 05-Sep-08 08:45:57

and that, Tinkjon, is the difference between a poster who has a splitting headache, PMT and a 4 year old blowing a party blower in her left ear and a reasonable and helpful one.

I'm off to lie down in a dark room

Tinkjon Fri 05-Sep-08 11:27:07

Suzy, I'm fussy because I ask how something is made? [baffled emoticon]

BIWI, thanks for your offer of a recipe - I'll just use the one I have here though - I wondered if the recipe might be wrong when it said filo, but it sounds as if it will do fine. Thanks very much for your help!

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 05-Sep-08 11:28:04

<passes paracetamol>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now