(6 Posts)
ScaryYellow Thu 04-Sep-08 12:16:52

i have been given 2 which were surplus by a friend who grows them

i dont want to waste them

also have garlic , coconut milk to use up

thnks for inspiration

norksinmywaistband Thu 04-Sep-08 12:41:19

Slice and roast with olive oil garlic
put into glass container with lid and top up with olive oil.

Yummy for brushetta and lasts for ages

georgiemum Thu 04-Sep-08 12:50:09

-Slice aubergine into 1cm pieces
-Sprinkle a little salt on each piece and leave for and hour or so (leeches out any bitterness)
-Rinse really, really well and dry off with kitchen roll
-Fry and onion and garlic in olive oil, then add 1/2 tsp of tumeric (tumeric seems to make it go dry so add a drop more oil)
-Fry the slices of aubergine until they go golden (you will probably need to add more olive oil as you go on as they do absorb it)
-Add a can of chopped tomatoes and cook until the aubergines go all soft
-Really nice with rice

You can always add other things to tastes - lentils, garam masala, cooked mince meat...

stroppyknickers Thu 04-Sep-08 12:52:07

oooh georgiemum that sounds lovely. I was going to say, stuff them with rice and cheese.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 04-Sep-08 12:54:37

Our favourite is similar to georgiemum's one except we layer it with the tomato sauce and feta or mozerella cheese and pop it in the oven

boogiewoogie Thu 04-Sep-08 13:13:37

Moussakka
Fry aubergine slices and layer it with bolognese or vegetarian alternative sauce. Top with bechamel sauce and grated cheese or just mozzarellam, put it in the oven at gas 5 for about 30 mins.

I also like caponata or aubergine pasta sauce, very rich.

Cut aubergine into cubes
Fry the aubergine and drain on kitchen paper.
Fry some onion, garlic until soft and golden. Add a tin of tomatoes, sprinkle some Italian herbs, sugar and a splash of balsamic vinegar and simmer until the water content has reduced, then add the aubergines, capers and olives and continue to simmer until heated through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now