and eating raw

I accidentally picked too many

MorocconOil Wed 03-Sep-08 18:45:26

Put them in a pork stew

liath Wed 03-Sep-08 18:47:11

Eve's pudding?

Freeze them?

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 03-Sep-08 18:48:15

I've used it in red cabbage, if you want a more savoury recipe?

Slice and boil red cabbage for about 5 minutes, then drain

Peel and dice a couple of apples

Put a knob of butter in the pan you boiled the cabbage, melt and add the apples and fry gently till they start to go soft (add a little water if it starts to stick)

Tip the cabbage back in, mix together, season, add another knob of butter, put the lid on and turn the heat down and cook gently for another 20 minutes.

If the apples are very sweet, or if you feel the dish is too sweet, add a touch of wine vinegar to sharpen it up a bit.

ThisTooWillPass Wed 03-Sep-08 18:49:14

Message withdrawn

SuperBunny Wed 03-Sep-08 18:50:25

Ooo yes, yes, red cabbage. I forgot about that, thanks. Am veggie so no pork, I'm afraid.

Can I freeze them without cooking them? Is that a stupid question?

SuperBunny Wed 03-Sep-08 19:02:13

I want to dry them! If it didn't take 10 hours, I'd give it a go

MorocconOil Wed 03-Sep-08 19:04:16

Dried apple rings make a yummy, healthy snack.

Think you can freeze raw, but may go brown?

MorocconOil Wed 03-Sep-08 19:04:56

Oh what about chutney?

Mercy Wed 03-Sep-08 19:07:42

Make some cider?!

Afaik, apples can be stored over autumn and winter if wrapped in newspaper in a cool place.

SuperBunny Wed 03-Sep-08 19:18:19

Oooo, cider. Good idea. Will google. I don't think I eat chutney. I could, I suppose. Will look that up too. And wrap others in paper.

Thanks for all the help

MorocconOil Wed 03-Sep-08 19:27:13

My friend made loads of apple chutney, bottled it up attractively and gave it to people for christmas. Homemade presents are great.

Takver Wed 03-Sep-08 19:48:18

Apple ketchup is gorgeous, esp good in sandwiches with pork sausages. DD will eat in preference to bought tom ketchup.
Cooked apple puree freezes or bottles well.
We have a LOT of apple trees grin

Cies Wed 03-Sep-08 19:55:44

I use apple in salads a lot.

Especially good with a crispy lettuce or chicory, some mature cheese, carrot and a vinagry dressing.

Or a kind of coleslaw - grated cabbage, carrot and apple salad, with a vinagry dressing.

BecauseImWorthIt Thu 04-Sep-08 00:58:48

Also lovely with black pudding - very typically French - boudin noir aux pommes!

aznerak Thu 04-Sep-08 07:27:28

Do you have a good apple flapjack recipe Superbunny or do you just make a regular batch of flapjack mixture and add grated/cubed apples as a sort of layer in the middle?

Inspiration needed!!

SuperBunny Thu 04-Sep-08 19:24:30

Aznerak, I used this. It's really good. Needed to be cooked for longer than recipe suggests though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now