Talk

Advanced search

Lets have some ideas for freezable meals please

(13 Posts)
makeminealargeoneplease Wed 03-Sep-08 16:39:39

I'm trying to fill up my freezer with home cooked meals. I tried this idea the other day, it makes a very stressful time of the day easy peasy!
The other day when I was making Chilli con Carne for dinner I just made double portions and put the remaining half in the freezer and did the same with a cottage pie. So therefore I have 1 x family meal of Chilli and 1 x family meal of cottage pie.
I think a sausage and bean casserole would freeze well, so I think I'll do that next.
Any other ideas for meals you can freeze?

Word Wed 03-Sep-08 21:41:34

Chicken and broccoli bake.
----
Lasagne / probably any pasta dish
----
Beanfeast (chopped up cooked sausages, fried onions, mixed with baked beans, then topped with mash potato and grated cheese on top)
----
Curry
----
Chicken casserole
----
Beef stew
----
Fish pie

stirlingmum Wed 03-Sep-08 22:07:53

When I get chance I usually make a pile of things like chicken strips in breadcrumbs, meatballs (ready for spaghetti in tomato sauce) and fish strips in breadcrumbs (all mainly for the dc).

Also, if you make too much casserole, get some pastry and make a few pasties/pies and freeze them.

notsoteenagemum Wed 03-Sep-08 22:18:10

When you freeze lasagne/pasta do you cook it first or use fresh or just freeze it dried and does the white sauce freeze ok?
I usually just freeze the bolognese.
Pies are good to freeze.
Soups,
homemade burgers.

Word Thu 04-Sep-08 17:21:01

Lasagne - I use dried lasagne sheets, make up the whole recipe, then freeze before cooking in the oven. Sauce is absolutely fine.

Pasta - stuff like tuna pasta bake would have the pasta cooked first in boiling water anyway - so just freeze when assembled (or even leftovers, if cooked).

Word Thu 04-Sep-08 17:21:33

Lasagne - I use dried lasagne sheets, make up the whole recipe, then freeze before cooking in the oven. Sauce is absolutely fine.

Pasta - stuff like tuna pasta bake would have the pasta cooked first in boiling water anyway - so just freeze when assembled (or even leftovers, if cooked).

Word Thu 04-Sep-08 17:21:41

Word Thu 04-Sep-08 17:22:17

Oops blush

Did you get that, Notsoteenagemum?
grin

MakemineaGandT Fri 05-Sep-08 10:38:40

anything in a sauce tends to freeze well:

stews
curries
spag bol
veg/chicken pasta sauce
etc etc

Another good tip - make up a huge batch of crumble topping mixture and keep it in a tub in the freezer ready to sprinkle over fruit for a v. quick crumble. It freezes brilliantly and doesn't clump together - it remains sprinklable even when frozen!

MakemineaGandT Fri 05-Sep-08 10:39:38

hey, and makemine - are you new? Haven't seen you before (is your "large one" of choice a g&T?! grin)

notsoteenagemum Fri 05-Sep-08 18:07:07

Thanks word just noticed the post will make one freeze one next time.
Thanks X3 wink

makeminealargeoneplease Fri 05-Sep-08 18:25:01

Hey makemine!! I haven't notice anyother makemines on here before.Yes I am a bit of a newbie but I've been getting around of late. Not so much a G&T, but wine and beer or quite partial to a Pimms and Lemonade - not fussed just as long as they are large!! wink

MakemineaGandT Fri 05-Sep-08 20:02:54

<hands makeminealargeone a SUPER large Pimms brimming with mint, strawbs etc>

Welcome to Mumsnet! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now