Talk

Advanced search

Organix 12m+ products

(8 Posts)
Tinkjon Wed 03-Sep-08 13:01:42

Why are their cereal bars and so on only for 12 months and over? I really can't see why the cereal bars aren't suitable for younger babies.

WigWamBam Wed 03-Sep-08 13:07:05

Levels of sugar or salt?

Additives?

Choking hazard?

Without knowing what's in them it's difficult to say.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 03-Sep-08 13:12:32

DD had the cereal bars much younger. I presume it's just in case you have opted for pureeing everything for 6 months hmm.

chelseamorning Wed 03-Sep-08 13:49:52

Perhaps it's the oat/roughage etc in them that is more difficult younger babies to digest.

I don't know what my DS would do without his 'bar'! grin He started on Organix bars at about 14 months. He still eats them but also eats a few adult bars. H&B sell a lovely moist fig bar - nothing else in it - which provides a nice extra shot of calcium. Can't remember the make off the top of my head.

Tinkjon Wed 03-Sep-08 14:03:07

There are no sugar, salt or additives in them.
As for oats, they sell oat products from 4 months! I'm mystified...

JellySnakes Wed 03-Sep-08 14:06:05

I think it is probably just that the oats are chunkier and so are more difficult to chew and swallow for younger babies. My dd loves them, but did gag a bit the first few times she ate one until she got used to the texture.

WigWamBam Wed 03-Sep-08 15:17:33

I've just had a look at the ingredients lists on the Organix website, and I suspect the reason they aren't recommended for younger babies is the amount of fibre in them.

The finger foods for the 9 - 12 month olds seem to contain around 5g per 100g of fibre, whilst the cereal bars are closer to 10g per 100g. I do seem to remember being told that too much fibre isn't good for a young baby, so perhaps that's your answer.

You could always contact them and ask them, if you really wanted to.

chelseamorning Thu 04-Sep-08 12:11:19

Yes, I'm sure it's the chunkiness and roughage/fibre that makes them unsuitable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now