Talk

Advanced search

I want to make a Shepherds Pie now to eat Friday tea time - ok to make it, cool it, freeze it and defrost it?

(10 Posts)
TheGoddessBlossom Wed 03-Sep-08 11:25:58

Sorry if that sounds like a really stupid question but a bit cloudy on the whole freezing meals thing. Should I then take it out Friday morning and just reheat in the oven? Would it be really dry if I do that? Could serve with some gravy I suppose...

Have the afternoon free and clear today, and want to be organised. Have friends coming for a playdate Friday....

Gobbledigook Wed 03-Sep-08 11:27:09

I'm sure you can.

I would make the meat/sauce and freeze that but do the potato fresh on Friday.

CountessDracula Wed 03-Sep-08 11:28:04

yes me too

When I make it I always make double the mixture and freeze half

Tommy Wed 03-Sep-08 11:28:06

to be honest, you could probably leave it in the fridge til then - think it would be nicer than freezing and defrosting

littleducks Wed 03-Sep-08 11:28:43

my mum used to cook mince bit, cook mash potatoe assemble, freeze, then cook in the oven on the day (as you would a ready meal type shepherds pie) worked fine

lucysmam Wed 03-Sep-08 11:29:24

I would agree with Gobbledigook, do the meat/sauce, cool and freeze that and do the spuds on Friday. Defrost Friday morning, top with spud, and reheat so it's piping hot

TheGoddessBlossom Wed 03-Sep-08 11:29:47

do you really think it could be left in the fridge?

Hmm, maybe I'll do the meat and freeze, will be easy to do the potato on Friday lunchtime...

TheGoddessBlossom Wed 03-Sep-08 11:30:12

you guys are fab grin

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 03-Sep-08 11:32:30

I would cook it this afternoon make sure each thing is cold when assembled (ie mash and meat)
then put it in fridge covered in cling film till friday cook it in the oven for 30-40 mins before needed.

Lazycow Wed 03-Sep-08 11:33:05

Preparing it on Weds and leaving in the fridge until Friday (covered) will be fine. I've done this loads of times- i.e prepared a bake type dish 48hrs beforehand.

Much easier to preprepare the whole thing when you have time and pop it in the oven on the day you need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now