Talk

Advanced search

Can I freeze cheddar cheese?

(8 Posts)
hopefully Wed 03-Sep-08 11:05:25

For some reason i bought the most enormous block of cheddar cheese at the supermarket earlier. not quite sure what came over me, but it's way more than we'll eat in a week.

Can i freeze half? My mum suggested grating it and using it as potato filling or something if I freeze it, as blocks don't defrost terribly well. Is this a true story? Am happy to grate if necessary, but freezing a block to use would be easier really...

georgimama Wed 03-Sep-08 11:07:03

I freeze blocks of cheese, have never had a problem. Do not attempt microwave defrost obviously!

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 03-Sep-08 11:07:21

yes grate and freeze

HTH

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 03-Sep-08 11:07:57

grin at georgimama!

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 03-Sep-08 11:08:46

I have just checked my book and if it is a new block just freeze in its original packaging.

lilolilmanchester Wed 03-Sep-08 12:32:12

I find the blocks very crumbly after being frozen. Would grate personally and then you can just take a bit out of the freezer at a time when you need it

hopefully Wed 03-Sep-08 12:51:05

Thanks for that. It has literally just occured to me that I could grate it and it would still be ok for sandwiches, not just for cooking (for some reason I was thinking it would only be ok in sarnies if sliced... blame the pregnant brain), so maybe I'll play safe and grate and freeze.

hopefully Wed 03-Sep-08 12:51:24

lol at microwave defrost!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now