Talk

Advanced search

Can I freeze cheddar cheese?

(8 Posts)
hopefully Wed 03-Sep-08 11:05:25

For some reason i bought the most enormous block of cheddar cheese at the supermarket earlier. not quite sure what came over me, but it's way more than we'll eat in a week.

Can i freeze half? My mum suggested grating it and using it as potato filling or something if I freeze it, as blocks don't defrost terribly well. Is this a true story? Am happy to grate if necessary, but freezing a block to use would be easier really...

georgimama Wed 03-Sep-08 11:07:03

I freeze blocks of cheese, have never had a problem. Do not attempt microwave defrost obviously!

BoysAreLikeDogs Wed 03-Sep-08 11:07:21

yes grate and freeze

HTH

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 03-Sep-08 11:07:57

grin at georgimama!

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 03-Sep-08 11:08:46

I have just checked my book and if it is a new block just freeze in its original packaging.

lilolilmanchester Wed 03-Sep-08 12:32:12

I find the blocks very crumbly after being frozen. Would grate personally and then you can just take a bit out of the freezer at a time when you need it

hopefully Wed 03-Sep-08 12:51:05

Thanks for that. It has literally just occured to me that I could grate it and it would still be ok for sandwiches, not just for cooking (for some reason I was thinking it would only be ok in sarnies if sliced... blame the pregnant brain), so maybe I'll play safe and grate and freeze.

hopefully Wed 03-Sep-08 12:51:24

lol at microwave defrost!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: