Talk

Advanced search

I've been diagnosed with cow's milk and egg intolerance amongst others.....

(7 Posts)
DrZeus Tue 02-Sep-08 22:32:43

been feeling cr*p for a while and had a food intolerance test done. Got the results and I'm milk and egg white/yolk intolerant. Also intolerant of pork, salmon, trout and kidney beans.

In my shopping this week, I had trout fillets, smoked salmon, cottage cheese, kidney beans (a tray from the cash and carry - we have them a lot!), yogurt, quark and eggs......shock.

My favourite food is cottage cheese (no barfing at the back, there!).

It's gonna be a whole new world. Just trying to work out what I can eat!

stirlingmum Tue 02-Sep-08 22:55:08

It is a whole new world and trying to get your head round it is hard.

When I found out that my youngest dd was allergic to dairy and egg I had to rethink how I cooked everything.

You can usually find alternatives for most things. I must say now that the cheese alternatives are not very nice (to me) but you may find one that you like!

Find a good health food shop and they are usually helpful and have alternatives for most things.

I can help with recipes if you need any.

Good luck!

trixymalixy Tue 02-Sep-08 23:00:50

There are some really nice cream cheese substitutes out there, almost indistinguishable from the real thing. tofutti is the brand I think.

The soya yoghurts are really nice too.

eggs are a bit more difficult I'm afraid.

thisisyesterday Tue 02-Sep-08 23:11:20

aww, it's tough isn't it? you have to totally rethink everything.

there is a book called "vegan with a vengeance" which I use a lot, having been vegetarian and then having to cut out dairy and egg for ds2.

obviously you can add the meat and whatever else you do eat to any recipes. but the book has the most fantastic cake and pancake recipes. I'm never going back to milk and eggs again! lol

rose elliots books are also really good (also vegetarian though)

LittlePushka Tue 02-Sep-08 23:11:29

Please could I be personal and ask you what your symptoms were and also whether your sleep was adversely affected at all? Thanks

DrZeus Wed 03-Sep-08 00:49:54

Symptoms:
Bad stomach cramps, bloating, <ahem> gas, constipation and the opposite.

Don't think my sleep was affected by this (only two DS's to blame for that one!).

stirlingmum Wed 03-Sep-08 10:26:19

Vegan websites are really good for getting ideas for baking etc.

The Vegan Kitchen

Parsley Soup website

There are lots more, just google vegan recipes smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now