Talk

Advanced search

Could I freeze Nigella's buttermilk sponge? Alternatives are madeira/victoria

(9 Posts)
franch Tue 02-Sep-08 21:42:55

See my recent post on this thread for the reason why.

Olihan Tue 02-Sep-08 21:52:33

Madeira definitely freezes, if you want a recipe that will fill a 2pt pudding bowl I can give you one. I've never used the buttermilk recipe, I only ever use Madeira as it's very firm and stands up well to being chopped about.

The Dora cake on my profile uses a 2pt pudding bowl cake which I think would be the right size for a Barbie skirt.

franch Tue 02-Sep-08 22:08:53

Brilliant Dora cake Olihan! I'd be very grateful if you could post the madeira recipe - many thanks

Olihan Tue 02-Sep-08 22:38:21

For 1 litre pudding bowl madeira cake:

230g S/R flour
170g Caster sugar
170g butter/marg
3 eggs
2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 150 degrees C/ Gas 2. Grease bowl (it makes it easier to get out if you cut a small circle of greaseproof and put in the bottom of the bowl), sift flour into bowl and add all other ingredients. Mix on slow speed until everything is combined then mix on high speed for 1 minute.

Pour into tin and bake at 150 degrees C for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours. (I tend to find that they need so keep an eye on it!)

Leave in tin for 5 -10 mins then turn out onto wire rack to cool. I use a palette knife to loosen it first.

If you need anything else, just shout!

franch Tue 02-Sep-08 23:20:12

You're a star Olihan

franch Wed 03-Sep-08 16:11:47

The pyrex bowl I was planning to use is 2l. Could I double up the quantity?

And how long would it take to defrost?

Olihan Wed 03-Sep-08 21:43:46

Doubling the mix would be fine afaik. It will make quite a large skirt though!

I'd give it at least overnight to defrost, probably a bit longer to be really sure.

Hope it goes okay!

smellyeli Wed 03-Sep-08 21:47:35

You can freeze the buttermilk cake BTW - I've done it before, and again today in order to get ahead for next weeks festivities.

franch Fri 05-Sep-08 15:54:35

Hmm. Well this one is 2.5l so hopefully it won't be ridiculously huge? Thanks Olihan

And thanks too smelly! Not sure how to choose really - suppose I should go for Olihan's recipe as the quantities are hopefully ok for my bowl

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now