Talk

Advanced search

Help Needed For the Recipe Section Please

(42 Posts)
Carmenere Tue 02-Sep-08 20:25:41

We have a new basics part of the recipe section because we thought it would be a good idea to have a bit where you could go to for the grass roots, basic, how-to style recipes.

It is currently empty and whilst anyone is welcome to enter any of their basic recipes onto it, I am looking for ideas what type of basic recipes you would like to see so that I can find and enter them over the next couple of days.

I am thinking along the lines of
Vinaigrette
Stock
Bread
Mayo, that kind of thing, but I really need your ideas

Please
Thankyou smile

Habbibu Tue 02-Sep-08 20:29:00

Foolproof ways to cook rice; basic dahls, plain sponge cakes; tomato sauce - will be back if I think of some more

fourlittlefeet Tue 02-Sep-08 20:33:49

scones and common quick breads, sauces, curry pastes, marinades, meat timings, puddings, tarts, pies & quiches, pastry types... I could go on!

I collect cook books and have a load of recipes for all sorts of things. Are you going to ask for the best tried one, or research them off the internet? Some untried ones are truly awful so would recommend getting recommendations iyswim

fourlittlefeet Tue 02-Sep-08 20:34:53

Another good one (though I don't know if it fits here) is natural cleaning solutions which is all bicarb and lemon. not recipes per se, but largely food type stuff.

snigger Tue 02-Sep-08 20:35:43

Pie fillings, with a good pastry recipe?

Omelette?

Mash? (I know that sounds too obvious for words, but I sat in my bedsit age 19 sobbing over a panful of parboiled bullets, holding a fork and wondering what to do when my friends arrived for their bangers n' mashgrin)

Littlefish Tue 02-Sep-08 20:40:00

I have a fantastic cookbook which my mum wrote when she was a cookery teacher. It's just loads of very simple, basic recipes typed up in a file.

Shall I have a look through it?

fourlittlefeet Tue 02-Sep-08 20:44:20

oh yes, egg recipes (fry, scramble, poach, boil etc)
pancakes

Carmenere Tue 02-Sep-08 20:45:04

Yes please Littlefish. Great ideas, keep em coming, thankssmile

watsthestory Tue 02-Sep-08 20:47:16

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Tue 02-Sep-08 20:47:38

Message withdrawn

Marina Tue 02-Sep-08 20:49:52

Pastry - idiot-proof for preference

How about a simple calendar reminding us all what produce is seasonal in the UK

Whenever we are confronted with eg, a free kilo of goat, or a kohlrabi in the veg box, we consult Josceline Dimbleby's Cook's Companion. I think a MN mini-version of that would be good....

Carmenere Tue 02-Sep-08 20:52:16

Well we are hoping to do a seasonal newsletter about what foods are in season and recipes to make the best of the produce and then it will reside on the recipe section if anyone wants to search it.

watsthestory Tue 02-Sep-08 20:54:02

Message withdrawn

fourlittlefeet Tue 02-Sep-08 20:54:08

How about some drinks; cocktails and punches, smoothies, milkshakes etc

fourlittlefeet Tue 02-Sep-08 20:55:50

and basic veg:
baking potatoes/roots etc
boiling/steaming greens

and also common dips; tsatsiki, hummous, baba ganoush

Cappuccino Tue 02-Sep-08 20:56:53

<snurk> at viniagrette

how middle-class are we?

Carmenere Tue 02-Sep-08 20:57:20

You have to dry it really well wats and then just season it with a bit of salt and then put it into a really, really hot oven to crisp it up.

Carmenere Tue 02-Sep-08 20:59:38

I did suggest a drinks section, it would be a good idea don't you think
Cocktails,
Mulled wine
Irish coffees ect

And what exactly is middle class about salad Cap? <peers over bifocals>

watsthestory Tue 02-Sep-08 21:02:17

Message withdrawn

mishymoo Tue 02-Sep-08 21:02:28

What about curry pastes? Freshly made!

How to make jams

Basic sauces like white; cheese; parsley, etc

fourlittlefeet Tue 02-Sep-08 21:04:03

i can see the mumsnet cookbook awaiting publication now....

Carmenere Tue 02-Sep-08 21:04:47

Well it depends on what cut of pork it is so I generally play it by ear but 20/30 mins usually does it.

fourlittlefeet Tue 02-Sep-08 21:05:29

oh and a section on grains;
rice;brown, white, black red, millet, quinoa, coucous, barley, wheat, polenta etc

Carmenere Tue 02-Sep-08 21:05:55

Well of course the best recipes will be in the Mumsnet Cookbook, so this is your chance for famewink

watsthestory Tue 02-Sep-08 21:06:19

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now