Talk

Advanced search

Meal alternatives for toddler

(8 Posts)
shandybass Mon 01-Sep-08 22:31:58

Hi all
I was just wondering when your LO refuses to eat a meal, (I am presuming this happens to all LO's at some point) do you offer an alternative?

My LO is 21 months and doesn't eat poorly, just quite regularly (particularly lately, it seems) is refusing meals by pushing it away immediately, saying no repeatedly and refusing to have it even close. Anyway sometimes I offer toast or a roll with soft cheese or something on it which she normally eats, followed by youghurt or fruit which she almost always eats. Other times I don't offer any alternative. It doesn't seem to make a difference either way to what she eats next time.

Am I spoiling her and should I hold fast and not offer any alternative?

What does everyone else do?

nappyaddict Mon 01-Sep-08 22:34:01

I offer yogurt that's it.

crokky Mon 01-Sep-08 22:35:48

Yes, I give toast etc. I don't think you're spoiling her. I don't think it's worth having battles with a child of that age.

Sycamoretree Mon 01-Sep-08 22:52:46

I went through all this with DD, she's 3 now. A fab eater, then suddenly started refusing all kinds of stuff she'd previously enjoyed. Everything had "yucky bits" in it. I nearly drove myself mad trying to get her back on track. One particularly memorable meal time I ended up putting practically her entire toy box "on the shelf" in order to try and get her to eat just one mouthful. Of course it didn't work. So after posting on MN I got some info that explained she was just probably going through a neophobic phase, which is when kids naturally become suspicious of new foods in particular. It's some kind of innate protection system now they are technically able to forage for themselves. Anyway, my own experience was that after about 4 months, she pretty much righted herself, and although she still isn't the adventurous eater she was when she kind of didn't know any different to eating what I put in front of her, mealtimes are no longer a hassle and I have vowed not to get too stressed when DS (now 1) presumably ends up going through this phase too .Good luck!

My DD often refuses meals. She's 23m and a fussy eater. If she had her way she'd only eat baby/toddler meals. I now no longer offer her anything else. She has to sit there for a good 10mins. Lately she's taken to actually take the bowl back after that time and attempt to eat some. If she doesn't then I tell her she has to eat 2 mouthfuls for me, before she can have yoghurt/fruit pot. If that doesn't work then I let her get down. She now realises that means the end of the meal and hasterly climbs back up to have some spoonfuls.

I did used to offer an alternative but she got wise to this and was just eating toast every meal, hence I stopped

stirlingmum Mon 01-Sep-08 23:05:08

I dont offer alternatives. It's a slippy slope. Once you start they know they can get away with it.

They are usually just seeing how much power they have.

I dont make a big fuss, just tell them that is dinner and there is no alternative.

shandybass Mon 01-Sep-08 23:09:14

Hi
Thanks. Sycamoretree your post brought a smile to my face but it must have been pretty frustrating stuff.

I guess I'm somewhere in between thinking 'its not worth the argument and making both of us stressed' and wondering if this will leave her 'eating toast at every meal' and seeing her waste away with hunger!

Bewilderbeast Mon 01-Sep-08 23:31:42

I don't offer alternatives, DS is 22 months, previously fabulous eater of the vacuum cleaner variety, now hates meat except for sausages and pretty much refuses to eat anything. I do not offer alternatives and he is told very firmly that there is no pudding if he doesn't eat at least some of his dinner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now