Talk

Advanced search

what can i do with black berries.....

(27 Posts)
stoppinattwo Mon 01-Sep-08 21:27:43

I picked a tonne of them today!!! and have ptu them in the freezer till I get a good suggestion smile

stoppinattwo Mon 01-Sep-08 21:28:13

oh yes and i dont mean the phone!!!!! wink

K999 Mon 01-Sep-08 21:28:21

eat them?? grin

bellavita Mon 01-Sep-08 21:29:09

stoppinattwo - hang on a mo I have a recipe that you can have.

morocco Mon 01-Sep-08 21:29:25

blackberry muffins - you can freeze them as well. yum

S1ur Mon 01-Sep-08 21:29:42

crumble/pie
jam
inside jelly or ice lollies
fresh with ice cream

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 01-Sep-08 21:29:45

Jam

Is gorgeous.

Weigh them, add the same weight in jam sugar, follow the instructions on the packet of sugar, and bingo. Nice sexy jam (stains like hell)

Carmenere Mon 01-Sep-08 21:31:08

Jam, crumble, tart, ice cream, yoghurt, sorbet, and I made a delicious red wine and blackberry sauce for roast rack of lamb the other day.
I am a fan of blackberries.

stoppinattwo Mon 01-Sep-08 21:32:12

is it different sugar to normal sugar BGP??? [dim emotion]...im no jam cook you see smile

Lio Mon 01-Sep-08 21:32:12

Am curently stewing mine with a cooking apple for general yumminess to have with cereal and/or yoghurt.

stoppinattwo Mon 01-Sep-08 21:33:14

oooooooh carm...how did you do the red wine thing that sounds fantastic!!!!.

puffylovett Mon 01-Sep-08 21:33:24

OOh carmenere have you posted that sauce recipe anywhere ? thx, it sounds delish !

stoppinattwo Mon 01-Sep-08 21:34:12

you know when you stew stuff....do you just bring it to the boil and then let it simmer??

I have a tonne of cooking apples too grin

bellavita Mon 01-Sep-08 21:34:57

Blackberry Oat Bars

8oz plain flour
7oz oats
250g butter/marj
6oz caster sugar
pack of pecan nuts - crumbled
11oz blackberries
couple tablespoons demerera sugar

Rub flour, oats and butter in (will seem like there is too much butter, but biggish lumps are ok - twill be fine). Add sugar and crumbled pecans.

Spread 2/3rds of mixture into a tin with greaseproof paper or a liner, pat it all down so it comes together. Spread fruit over, then add the rest of the mixture on top. Press down firmly. Sprinkle over demerera sugar. Bake at 170 for 35 mins.

Once cooled, cut up. I use a swiss roll/traybake tin.

My boys love them, they have them for breakfast, as a snack during the day or for supper.

stoppinattwo Mon 01-Sep-08 21:37:08

wow bellavita that sounds absolutely gorgeous too....I can see Im gonna have to go back for more blackberries tomorrow!!!, we didnt have a big enough bowl today grin

stoppinattwo Mon 01-Sep-08 21:37:53

oh how do you crumble pecan nuts...or ar they already crumbled???

bellavita Mon 01-Sep-08 21:38:43

we grow them in our garden - dh picked 11 lbs in weight last year, so I had to find something to use them up.

bellavita Mon 01-Sep-08 21:39:19

no they come whole, I just crumble in between my fingers.

Carmenere Mon 01-Sep-08 21:40:32

Well my mum took the dc's out picking blackberries so I simmered these with lots of sugar to make a kind of syrup.
And then when we roasted a rack of lamb, I skimmed off the fat (i hate lamb fat) deglazed the roasting dish with red wine. i then made a roux in a small pan and added the deglazed pan juices and some stock and cooked it out and then I stirred in some of the blackberry syrup to finish. It was delicious.

stoppinattwo Mon 01-Sep-08 21:41:50

that recipe sounds like one that can invole the kids so i guess it will be blackberry oat bars at the weekend!!!!

smellyeli Mon 01-Sep-08 21:42:52

Stewed bb's and apple in the microwave - peel and chop apples, put in plastic jug with sugar (a good sprinkle)and splash of water, cover and blast on high for four minutes until mushy. Then add blackberries and blast for another two minutes. Serve hot with icecream or cold with custard - yum!

phdlife Mon 01-Sep-08 21:43:10

this recipe is divine!

stoppinattwo Mon 01-Sep-08 21:44:37

deglazing??...do you put in red wine and swirl it aaround and then tip it into a small pan??, and what is a roux?? sorry i am a complet amateur blush

Carmenere Mon 01-Sep-08 21:47:32

Yes deglazing is when you swirl wine around the bottom of the tray so as to release all the lovely toasted flavour from the roast. And a roux is just when you mix up flour and butter.

Quattrocento Mon 01-Sep-08 21:49:55

Oh thanks for this thread - goodideas all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now