Talk

Advanced search

CAlling Cake Makers and decorators - What do I need to know - PINK cake and PIRATE SHIPs

(11 Posts)
ScaryYellow Mon 01-Sep-08 19:54:42

dd wants a pink cake - how do i get a pink sponge?

and she would like a pirate ship - but having seen that they ae £50 !!!!!!!!!! i wondered has anyone made one - ccan you tellme how and ost pics?

trying to decide whether its something I can do?

2loudboys Mon 01-Sep-08 20:48:43

Went to Lakeland today, saw a brilliant pirate ship cake tin. DS went ape and immediately started planning birthday party. That was when I noticed the price tag - £24.94 shock shock. However - 'tis better than £50 and no cake-sculpture required. Just add few drops of red icing paste and TA-DAAAAAAAAAAA.

dandycandyjellybean Tue 02-Sep-08 10:37:37

check out my profile, pink barbie cake, plus pirate ship. will talk you through it if you fancy doing it. (the cake itself wasn't pink, but 2loudboys answer would work.

Anna8888 Tue 02-Sep-08 10:38:46

Oh yes I am interested in this - pink birthday cake required for DD's fourth birthday in November...

seeker Tue 02-Sep-08 10:45:32

My friend just puts a ton of food colouring in her cake mixture - hey presto, fab pink cake with added e numbers!

Pirate ship is really easy - minimal cake sculpture required. Rice paper sails, silver ball cannon balls, chopstick mast - go for it!

Oh, and a blue jelly sea!

hana Tue 02-Sep-08 10:48:25

try doing a google image search for pirate ship - you'll get hundreds of cakes and plenty of inspiration!

RedFraggle Tue 02-Sep-08 12:16:27

Sexbombbikerchick - that cake is amazing! Instructions please!

I am doing a pirate themed treasure hunt for my children and nephew in October and I want to make THAT cake now!!!

ScaryYellow Tue 02-Sep-08 12:16:56

oh wow the cake looks fantastic - would be very interested in being talked through this - how did you do it?
the shape looks fab and are those chocolate fingers?

dandycandyjellybean Tue 02-Sep-08 16:55:48

Used 3 choc vic sponges cut in half radially, then sandwiched together with nice thick choc butter cream. So you you end u with a stack of 6 1/2 moon shapes. (Chilling for a bit at this stage will help it all stick together - I did this the night before and left it wrapped up in fridge).

Trim a bit off the 'round' side, then stand the whole shebang on the trimmed bit. That makes the fundamental boat shape. Then I trimmed it abit at the back and used the trimmings to build it up at the front, then cut out the bit where the pirate stands. Spread it all liberally with the buttercream. At this stage it looks absolutely crap, do not panic. I used a combo of ordinary choc fingers, Lidl mini choc fingers, but ended up just trimming bigger ones in the end so you could just use the long ones. It's then a bit like building a wall. Put the buttercream into a piping bag (it makes it easier to apply) and piped a bit onto each finger, then stuck to the cake, remembering to leave room for your cannons (those cigar shaped ice cream wafers with candles stuck in 'em). Used loads of silver balls to look like 'studding' and filled any bits in that looked untidy with piped melted chocolate.

Had loads of fun making the treasure chests, stuck 2 brown liq allsort squares together, squashed down well and then carefully carved off the top layer to make a lid, stuck loads of silver balls in with icing, then stuck lid back down. Crows nest was carefully sliced off bottom of an ice cream cone, and used another cigar wafer for the long bit at the front. Bought playmobile pirate for it, and it came with the torch. Masts out of bbq skewers and paper sails. Oh, and choc raisins for the cannonballs. My mil lent me some of her cake making stuff, and I used a little pot of something called 'gold lustre' brushed liberally all over and I think that helped make it look good.

It was loads more fiddly and time consuming than the princess one (that took about 1 1/2 start to finish) but I did enjoy doing it. MInd you, if i never smell chocolate buttercream again it will be too soon. I thought i'd developed ocd coz I was sure i could smell it on my hands for days afterward and had to keep washing and washingmy hands!!!!

RedFraggle Tue 02-Sep-08 18:04:03

Thank you - I will be trying that next month then!

lovecat Thu 04-Sep-08 16:53:47

re. pink cake - if you'd rather do it without the tons of food colouring, my mum used to add a slug of undiluted Ribena to her fairy cake mix - they came out a gorgeous pink colour and had a nice flavour too - I daresay any blackcurrant or 'summer fruits' type squash would do the trick <wanders off to try this with Rocks Red Five to see if it's true>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now