Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about spinach......please

(14 Posts)
Flower3554 Mon 01-Sep-08 14:28:27

Ok confession time, I've never cooked spinach beforeshock

I've eaten it, in restaurants etc but never bought it or cooked it until now.

We are having pork tonight with new potatoes and I bought some spinach (brave emoticon)whats is the best/easiest way to cook please

Takver Mon 01-Sep-08 15:15:36

I wash it well then put a bit of water just to cover the bottom of a saucepan, add the spinach not dried just washed (with the water clinging to it) and cook on high with a lid on until it wilts & looks cooked (not long at all, maybe 5 mins?) stirring it around so that it cooks evenly. Drain well & add a good lump of butter & stir around, then eat it.
I'm sure there are much posher ways but I think this is nice.

ellideb Mon 01-Sep-08 15:17:05

You could pop it in a steamer for abour 4 minutes and then sprinkle some lemon juice over it. Delicious, plus the lemon juice will help you to absorb the iron in it.

KerryMum Mon 01-Sep-08 15:18:26

olive oil (dash or two) throw spinach in, stir.

yum

Lubyloo Mon 01-Sep-08 15:18:39

If you buy the ready washed spinach you can just pierce the bag and zap in microwave for 3 0r 4 minutes.

suzywong Mon 01-Sep-08 15:20:09

Takver's way is the best

put some double cream and nutmeg and lots of salt and pepper on it for your pork dinner and don't forget to wash the spinach well in a sink of water first as it can harbour sand.

HateToNameChangeBut Mon 01-Sep-08 15:21:28

Buy some frozen puff pastry. Layer it with spinach, Ricotta, Feta, finely chopped onion and lots of black and red pepper in a baking dish.

Bake for 20 minutes and eat with greek yoghurt..

Takver Mon 01-Sep-08 15:31:33

Hmm, I think I might be having to eat spinach soon. Namechange, is your red pepper the grindy or the capsicum sort? And do you cook your onion first? Definitely going to try this

Flower3554 Mon 01-Sep-08 15:44:41

Thanks everyone. I don't have any cream in so It'll be Takvers recipe I think.

I had a spinach pie at a greek night out recently, made with a sort of filo pastry, wasn't crispy, so not sure if it was filo, and it was delicious.

rebelmum1 Mon 01-Sep-08 15:59:28

I'd never put in water it goes soggy, steam it or cook it with a splash of olive oil and a dash of lemon or the juices of the meat you have cooked, it takes only around 3-4 mins to cook max, i like a splash of soy sauce in mine.

Flower3554 Mon 01-Sep-08 16:55:35

Well, it turns out that it was ready washed spinach so I microwaved it for 3 minutes then chucked it in the dish the pork had cooked in stirred, and took it straight out and served.

It was awfulblush Why does a huge bag disappear leaving a tiny amount of mush behind. It didn't taste very nice, slimy even.

Back to the drawing board methinkshmm

Takver Mon 01-Sep-08 18:46:43

I wouldn't microwave it at all - not convinced that microwaving veg is ever a good idea (frozen peas excepted).
It does always shrink down an awful lot though.

Amethyst86 Mon 01-Sep-08 18:58:59

Cook spinach for a couple of minutes with a little water, salt and pepper in a big pan.

Drain and squeeze out excess water.

Melt small amount of butter, couple of teaspoons of cream in a pan and stir in spinch. Put mix into a shallow baking dish.

Grate some gruyere and a little nutmeg over the top and put under the grill till golden brown and bubbly on the top.

Eat. Unbelievably delicious. I eat this every for about three weeks after I first made it, its lovely.

Amethyst86 Mon 01-Sep-08 18:59:38

every day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now