Talk

Advanced search

Gluten & dairy-free pudding ideas?

(14 Posts)
thehouseofmirth Mon 01-Sep-08 14:21:51

Can anyone please help me out with any suggestions or recipes? I can only think of fruit salad!

suzywong Mon 01-Sep-08 14:24:00

tapioca cooked in coconut milk and vanilla served with molasses and blueberries and strawberries

do you want a recipe?

chocolateshoes Mon 01-Sep-08 14:27:14

pears baked in marsala wine. Its a Delia recipe. V easy. & looks posh! Also you can get ice cream called Swedish Glace. Our local supermarket stocks it.

nailpolish Mon 01-Sep-08 14:29:30

strawberries dipped in dairy free chocolate

pagwatch Mon 01-Sep-08 14:31:08

meringues with strawbs/rasps served with swedish glace or home made gfcf ice cream.

sorbet

candyfluff Mon 01-Sep-08 14:55:15

there are some great recipes on this website-cook it simply . we have a friend that has to eat gluten free food and i made her a hot pear and chocolate pecan pudding served with ice cream was delicious and fit for the whole family

candyfluff Mon 01-Sep-08 14:56:15

you can buy dairy free ice cream but where i dont know -sorry

cmotdibbler Mon 01-Sep-08 15:05:56

Is it for a dinner party ? I often make a flourless chocolate cake (the sort that are essentially a baked choc mousse) with a sour cherry sauce and maybe some Swedish Glace (in all major supermarkets with the icecream)

flamingtoaster Mon 01-Sep-08 15:21:34

You can convert any gluten and milk containing recipe to gluten and milk free by substituting Dove's Farm Gluten Free Flour, Pure Dairy free margarine, and using either soya or rice milk.

A favourite puddings of ours:

Put blackberries and sliced apple in a greased pyrex dish and cover with a sponge mixture to which you have added half a teaspoon of mixed spice (more if you like spicer puddings!).

(I substitute for egg as well because of ds's multiple allergies).

You can make pastry with Dove's Farm Glutenfree flour but it is something which take a bit of practice - always chill it well and roll it out between two layers of clingfilm.

The are almond cake recipes on the internet - i.e. you use ground almonds instead of flour.

thehouseofmirth Mon 01-Sep-08 18:37:52

Ooh thanks everyone. Some great ideas here. I think the basic problem is that I'm such a dairy queen myself that although I could think of a few gluten free puds I couldn't imagine them without cream, custard or ice cream!

Thanks for the tip off about Swedish Glace. Is it nice though?!

pagwatch Mon 01-Sep-08 18:39:16

yes it is nice or my lot wouldn't touch it. DD does not need GFCF but she still loves the raspberry

stirlingmum Mon 01-Sep-08 21:11:07

Swedish Glace is nice - my dd has dairy allergy and we get it from Tesco or Sainsbury's. I have tried it and it is lovely!

MegBusset Mon 01-Sep-08 21:11:53

Jelly!

trixymalixy Mon 01-Sep-08 21:19:06

You can make dairy free custard with birds eye custard powder and rice/soya/oat milk or buy ready made soya custard in cartons in most major supermarkets.

you can also buy soya pouring (alpro) and whipping cream (granovita) in most major supermarkets.

Swedish Glace ice cream is just as nice as dairy ice cream.

No reason not to have nice stuff if you can't have dairy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now