Talk

Advanced search

Potatoes

(14 Posts)
janeite Mon 01-Sep-08 13:37:55

Apologies for the boring question but - how do you store your potatoes please?

They used to last for ages but recently I am sick of them going all fusty smelling and horrible, really quickly.

Are the supermarkets deliberately making them rot faster, so we have to buy more? Any ideas please?

IAteDavinaForDinner Mon 01-Sep-08 13:39:09

They last much, much longer if you buy them from a greengrocer in paper bags. As long as they're still really dirty and you keep them in a dark cool place they'll last ages like this.

Marina Mon 01-Sep-08 13:39:18

Take them out of plastic packaging asap and keep them in a cloth bag (jute/cotton supermarket one ideal) in a dark place.

lucysmam Mon 01-Sep-08 13:39:49

Mine live in a bottom drawer in the kitchen, well away from light and heat and last ages. Not by choice mind you, there's simply no space for them anywhere else in my tiny kitchen

Marina Mon 01-Sep-08 13:39:56

Agree that soil-caked ones keep much longer. It is the plastic wrapping (ggrrrr) that makes them turn.

Iklboo Mon 01-Sep-08 13:40:06

And don't keep bananas in the same cupboard

lucysmam Mon 01-Sep-08 13:41:03

Iklboo, why not?

Not that I do or anything, just it would seem a strange thing to keep together to me

janeite Mon 01-Sep-08 13:41:24

Ah - yes, I leave them in the plastic; there's the answer then. By jute bag, do you mean the cloth book bag sort of bags (the ones known in our house as "eco-bags"?).

RedHead81 Mon 01-Sep-08 13:43:13

I sent DH to get some potatoes yesterday, he bought organic ones that have 7th sept as use by and 5th as sell by and they were all black inside and really soft - i will be taking them back later!

ATM. all fruit and veg i get from the supermarket only lasts a few days before it goes bad - conspiracy me thinks!

Furball Mon 01-Sep-08 13:43:32

I keep mine in an old shoebox (with the lid on) in a kitchen cupboard.

MuffinMclay Mon 01-Sep-08 13:47:31

Bottom drawer in kitchen, out of any plastic wrapping.

Marina Mon 01-Sep-08 13:49:10

Eco bag fine. The spuds must breathe. This warm muggy weather will have turned potatoes in plastic even quicker than usual.

ChukkyPig Mon 01-Sep-08 13:51:45

They need to be cool and in the dark.

At the mo I have room to keep them in the fridge and they last for ages and ages.

janeite Mon 01-Sep-08 14:10:37

Does anybody have those Lakeland bags?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now