Talk

Advanced search

Help with a marrow!

(12 Posts)
MABS Mon 01-Sep-08 13:12:12

Have just been given a lovely marrow. I'm a crap cook and ashamed to say i have no idea what to do with it any simple ideas? thanks

mrsmalumbas Mon 01-Sep-08 13:15:08

Marrows are the work of the devil. Watery and tasteless, IMO. Sorry.

My Mum always did hers stuffed, filled with the same sort of sauce you would use for bolognese i.e minced beef and tomatoes etc. I always loved the filling but hated the marrow.

GordonTheGopher Mon 01-Sep-08 13:23:24

Was in my friend who fobbed you off with one? grin I got one of theirs as well. Given most of it to my land snails!

TheArmadillo Mon 01-Sep-08 13:25:40

compost bin?

Only thing marrows are fit for.

Sorry

Overmydeadbody Mon 01-Sep-08 13:27:00

marrow and ginger cake (like carrot cake but substitute the carrot for marrow and thre spices for ginger)

Other than that, it is not worth eating. Give it to the kids to carve up with butter knives.

Carmenere Mon 01-Sep-08 13:29:03

Oh no i am a marrow convert after dsd gm gave us a huge one.

I made a FAB choc and courgette cake except I used the marrow instead (I did drain lots of the liquid of it first though).

I also used it in ratatouille with peppers and aubergines.

I also used it in curry
and finally I made superb chutney with it. Yes it was HUGE

thehairybabysmum Mon 01-Sep-08 14:06:27

Roasted marrow v. nice (i have an allotment so lots of marrow sized courgettes to use!). Just cook as you would butternut squash, ok to leave the skin on.

Also try grilling long thin slices of marrow, once turned spread grated parmesan on top and grill further (as per cheese on toast). This is a courgette recipe i was given but would work with marrow too i reckon.

Takver Mon 01-Sep-08 14:10:24

I agree, marrow chutney is fab, best chutney ever to go with cheese. And dead easy to make, always works, not like jam.

dandycandyjellybean Mon 01-Sep-08 15:20:29

just hollow out the seedy bit and then use as you would courgette

MABS Mon 01-Sep-08 17:05:57

thanks all so much. do you know if you can make soup with it? i actually have 2 of em.

Carmenere Mon 01-Sep-08 17:08:14

I think you could make a very nice spicy soup with it or one with blue cheese. I think you need strong flavours to go with it.

dandycandyjellybean Tue 02-Sep-08 09:41:15

Snap mabs, i've got now, aswell. Last night made a fab curry used quorn, diced marrow, sweet potato, 2 tbsp vindaloo paste, stock, coconut milk, 4 tbsp lentils and then stirred some spinach in at the end. It was deeeblumminlishus. Am posting seperate recipe coz it was so gorgeous, quick and easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now