Talk

Advanced search

temps and times for cooking beef casserole/stew thingy

(16 Posts)
schneebly Mon 01-Sep-08 13:04:50

I know I have to cook is slowly on a low temp but how low and how many hours please? grin I have a gas cooker so gas mark would be helpful. TIA smile

WendyWeber Mon 01-Sep-08 13:06:48

Temp would be about 160 for about 3 hours, will try to find equiv gas mark for you...

WendyWeber Mon 01-Sep-08 13:08:04

about mark 3 apparently smile

schneebly Mon 01-Sep-08 13:09:53

Oh Wendy you fab person thank you smile

Hoping it will be yummy - have red wine, garlic, mushrooms, onion, carrot and potatoes to add. <<drools slightly in anticipation>>

WendyWeber Mon 01-Sep-08 13:15:44

I'm on my way wink

lucysmam Mon 01-Sep-08 13:16:45

schneebly, I'm on my way to yours to share . . . yummy!

schneebly Mon 01-Sep-08 13:17:23

grin You are very welcome - you could help me finish the wine! wink (dh not a fan)

lucysmam Mon 01-Sep-08 13:19:01

well that's a shame, more for you in that case wink

WendyWeber Mon 01-Sep-08 13:22:47

Just double-checked with Delia and she says mark 1 shock:

<<Slowly, slowly is the word that needs to be emphasised here. It is said that the correct simmering temperature is reached when the liquid shows the barest shimmer of movement and an occasional bubble breaks the surface. I have found that, using heavy flameproof casserole, the ingredients for a beef casserole can be brought slowly up to simmering point on top of the stove, then transferred to the middle or low shelf of a pre-heated oven. Gas mark 1, 275°F (140°C) is gentle enough to produce the very best results. But ovens vary and different types of cooking pots will affect temperatures too, so you may have to adjust the oven temperature accordingly.

The time a casserole takes to cook will vary from 2-2½ hours for chuck, blade and thick flank, up to 4 hours for shin, leg and neck. Pork cuts for braising and casseroling normally take 1½ hours, and lamb much the same.>>

I must overcook mine grin

schneebly Mon 01-Sep-08 13:23:47

shock at mark 1! Maybe will try mark 2 as a compromise grin

schneebly Mon 01-Sep-08 17:15:11

Ooh just tasted it and the beef melts in yer mouth! Thanks smile

WendyWeber Mon 01-Sep-08 17:19:42

<drools>

schneebly Mon 01-Sep-08 18:59:32

It was absolutely delicious! Will be making it again!

WendyWeber Tue 02-Sep-08 20:44:40

What temp did you do it at in the end, schneebly? (And for how long? And what's the recipe?)

schneebly Tue 02-Sep-08 22:11:37

I did it at mark 2 for about erm...4 hours I think!

This is roughly what I did

Pre heated the oven

seasoned some flour with salt, pepper and paprika, rolled the diced casserole beef (about half a pound I think) in the flour before browning in a pan with some sunflower oil.

Transferred to a casserole dish and covered with (cheat!) a bag of ready made knorr beef stock, a splash of red wine and a dash of lea and perrins - bunged in oven, covered.

sauteed an onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 chopped carrots and a handful of chopped mushrooms until onions are soft - add to casserole.

peeled and chopped 3 medium potatoes and left them in water until about an hour before serving then add to casserole, stir in and uncover before cooking for another hour.

The potatoes on top were half out of the 'gravy' but because I had mixed then in first they were coated and sort of 'roasted' a little on top.

It was yummy! We served with a big thick slice of 'uncut' bread and butter and I had a glass of the wine (Barcelino from Aldi and rather nice)

Enough for 2 adults and 2 small kids or 3 adults if you are having another course! smile

WendyWeber Thu 04-Sep-08 11:41:10

Thanks, schneebly - I have saved it for future ref smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now