Talk

Advanced search

15 mth DS sudenly really picky and hardly eats anything - need some ideas please

(8 Posts)
Jen1978 Sat 30-Aug-08 21:04:22

To cut a long story short DS1 is nearly 16 mth and over the last 5 weeks has had a serious bout of D and V (ended up on an IV in hosp), 2 colds and the mmr jab! Previously he was a great eater, had got to the point where he would eat pretty much anything, needed mashing up but was ok. Now he refuses to eat anything unless it is pretty smooth or he can pick it up. He basically will eat, pasta and tomato/veg sauce, some casseroles *(but they have to be wizzed up),fish fingers, scrambled egg, toast and marmite, cheese scones, fresh fruit, yogurt and rice pudding. I know this doesn't sound too bad, but these are the ONLY things he eats apart from breakfast ready brek or weetabix. He refuses to eat things like mashed or boiled potatoes and he won't really try anything new.

I am at my wits end, he used to be so good and now he jusy says "no" and shakes his head. He does eat a bit better at nursery and I do wonder if he is doing it on purpose for me and DH??

HV said I should just give him whatever was on offer and if he refuses then not give him anything else till next mealk time. I have done this to some extent, but it really messes up his naps / nighttime sleep if he has not eaten enough. He has not gained any weight for weeks, although I am not really bothered by that.

Realyl just want some reassurance that this will get better and maybe some ideas on other finger food type things I could try.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 30-Aug-08 21:11:56

The D and V bug aside; my DD nearly 15 months is going through something similar at the minute. I think it's partly because she has realised that she has a certain amount of control over her world and partly because she just isn't hungry for or wants whatever we are eating at the time (ie she eats it sometimes but not others)

I'm not sure I agree with the HV though shock. Babies this age still need little and often to keep their batteries charged up, and a hungry baby is a grumpy little soul. I would offer him the same food that you are eating and let him eat what he wants off the plate, then take the plate away when he is done. If you feel he hasn't eaten enough, then I'd give him something else a little later. He'll get there eventaully smile

Jen1978 Sun 31-Aug-08 20:41:33

bump

lucysmam Mon 01-Sep-08 10:09:07

could you perhaps leave little bowls of any snacks he will eat for him around for him to pick at through the day. Or leave something new for him to try as well maybe. My lo (19mo) is more inclined to try something if either we're eating it at the same time or if she's not constantly being watched to make sure she's tried it.

Obviously I don't mean leave him unattended to eat, just leave him with the option of trying or not. He may surprise you & try something else & if not, his diet isn't that bad & I'm sure he'll get back to being a good eater eventually, just the D&V must have taken it out of him a bit smile

meep Mon 01-Sep-08 10:17:23

welcome to my world Jen!

dd (13mo)has just got over d&v and a stay in hospital - and is eating an awful lot less than your ds is. Her staple diet at the moment is Ella's pouches and blueberries hmm

We have head shaking, food throwing, food spitting and dropping everything on the floor accompanied by squealing.

Anything with lumps is met with a look of horror.

I made dh feed her last night and she was (almost) good as gold until she saw me.

She also eats more at nursery. She is there just now - partly in the hope that it will encourage her to eat again!

You have my sympathy!

lucysmam Mon 01-Sep-08 11:40:02

Have had a google for some finger foods & came up with these websites, they may or may not be much use to you.

I just got the homepage up for each and then searched finger foods and feeding a fussy eater in them.

No good at links so here they are

www.planningfamily.com

www.ukfamily.co.uk

sorry if they don't work!

hope they are of some use to you smile

lucysmam Mon 01-Sep-08 11:40:30

ooooh, they worked! yay me! Hope you find something useful xx

Jen1978 Mon 01-Sep-08 21:54:15

Thanks to everyone, I am so grateful for your ideas and to hear that I am not alone! Food is such an emotional thing isn't it? Its just natural instinct to want to feed your child and when they don't want it, its so hard!
I will have a look at those websites lucysmam, any ideas are welcome!
Once again, thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now