Talk

Advanced search

I have a lovely looking new basil plant in my kitchen,

(45 Posts)
lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 18:05:00

now what do I do with it? Apart from enjoy the smell which has taken over the kitchen but is lovely

maidamess Sat 30-Aug-08 18:07:47

Keep it watered. Add it to pasta (before serving) pop it on pizzas.

When I was pg basil smelt like cat's p*ss. Even though I like it now on the odd occasion it still makes me slightly queasy wink

Oh and yes, water it.

lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 18:22:31

lol DANCES, lovely! just add it to pasta/pizza as it is (chopped though obviously)?

sorry but it's true! yes, either roughly chopped or just leaves scattered in sort or thing.

PeaMcLean Sat 30-Aug-08 18:24:46

Anytime you use tomatoes, put some basil on too. Lovely on a salad. Sometimes I chop, sometimes I don't. It's not so strong you can't eat a whole one.

Joolyjoolyjoo Sat 30-Aug-08 18:27:07

Stuff chicken breasts with soft cheese, cherry tomatoes and fresh leaves of basil- yummy. That was what I was set to make this week, but for some reason I was given a coriander plant instead of basil in my online delivery and DH didn't notice- so send some to me!

Lucycat Sat 30-Aug-08 18:28:38

Wait until it's huge then use the whole lot to make pesto!

Snaf Sat 30-Aug-08 18:29:10

Make pesto!

My basil plant has taken over my tiny kitchen - I love it. Think fresh basil is one of my favourite smells.

MMMMMMMMmmmm coriander. I'm just about to add a big handful to the Dorowat that is simmering in my slow cooker. YUM!

trefusis Sat 30-Aug-08 18:30:36

Message withdrawn

Califrau Sat 30-Aug-08 18:55:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 18:58:04

Joolyjooly, that sounds delish! will try next time i have some chicken in.

trefusis, that would be lovely, please.

I didn't realise it would be 'on it's way out' soon, will it not live over winter in my kitchen? sad

DANCESwith, what's Dorowat?

Snaf it smells absolutely lovely, keep getting a whiff as I walk past

lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 18:58:57

Califrau, do they not grow back as you use them?

trefusis Sat 30-Aug-08 19:03:59

Message withdrawn

lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 19:06:55

yum, really simple too by the looks of that! thanks trefusis!

amidaiwish Sat 30-Aug-08 19:33:46

chop up tomatoes into a bowl
add plenty of olive oil, salt and pepper
lots of basil
leave to marinade. delish!

also add basil to roasted vegetables

avocado/tomato/mozzarella salad with basil leaves

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

p.s. i thought you had to be careful not to overwater basil - just water when the plant wilts? I've been doing this and my plant is lasting much longer than usual when i watered little and often

lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 19:42:42

the label on mine said water when the pot felt 'light' to lift, amidaiwish. so I assume when it starts wilting would probably be when the pot gets light

amidaiwish Sat 30-Aug-08 19:44:36

yes, it is definitely light when i water it now.

lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 19:46:32

how much water do you give it? & do you just let it soak it up or do you drain off any it hasn't drunk over however long you leave it?

amidaiwish Sat 30-Aug-08 19:51:46

i just run it under the tap. i make sure any excess has drained off and then put it back on very sunny windowsill.

lucysmam Sat 30-Aug-08 19:53:19

suppose that's the easier way of doing it! knowing my luck i'd over water it n it'd die!

Califrau Sat 30-Aug-08 20:05:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsJamin Sat 30-Aug-08 20:15:24

I use my basil plant so much now there's nearly no leaves on it! It's a good rule of thumb that you use basil whenever you use tomatoes - fresh or chopped. It really revolutionises a dish when you use fresh basil rather than dried. I use Oregano a lot too - can you buy that potted? I have not seen it in supermarkets along with the other potted herbs.

pointydog Sat 30-Aug-08 20:18:32

Bought from a supermarket? They're a rip-off and will soon die.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now