Talk

Advanced search

How do you make egg fried rice

(5 Posts)
thesockmonsterofdoom Sat 30-Aug-08 12:51:17

I keep getting a mad craving for egg fried rivce but I have no idea how to make it and it seems silly to buy it from the takeaway when it would cost me pence to make myself.

TrinityRhino Sat 30-Aug-08 12:51:55

ooh yes, I would love to do that

cyteen Sat 30-Aug-08 12:55:33

I've just this week mastered egg fried rice actually so am happy to share.

- cook some white rice and allow to cool
- heat some groundnut or veg oil in a wok/large pan
- chuck in rice and fry for five minutes or so, until thoroughly reheated
- throw in some beaten egg mixed with some sesame oil (amounts depending on how much rice you've cooked, one egg does the trick for two people's worth). Stir the egg round with the rice so it coats and cooks at the same time.
- chuck in some defrosted peas (if you like that sort of thing, which I do) and some chopped spring onions, fry for another couple of minutes, serve. I like dark soy sauce on mine but it isn't essential.

pgwithnumber3 Sat 30-Aug-08 12:56:16

You pre-cook your rice a couple of hours before (this is the MOST important bit!), leave it covered once it is ready.

I usually use around 6 eggs for a family of four - whisk them together.

Heat oil in a wok (you will need a couple of tablespoons) - cook the egg, not letting it overcook, when it is nearly done, throw the rice in and stir around, I then throw some peas in (can be frozen). Stir around until all cooked.

Then put loads of soy sauce on it!

cyteen Sat 30-Aug-08 12:56:56

It is a brilliant meal - so cheap and filling, and you can throw in sundry veg as well, whatever's lying around (I've used peppers, green beans, mange tout, carrots, plus some chopped garlic, ginger and chilli). Great for using up odds and ends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now