Talk

Advanced search

Tasty foolproof recipe for Coq-au-vin needed please

(15 Posts)
Marchbirthday Sat 30-Aug-08 09:31:25

Tasty foolproof recipe for Coq-au-vin needed please. I have a slow cooker, or conventional gas oven and I can get to a proper Butchers. I have tried several recipes and have been told that I need to ask for breast and thighs on the bone to get a proper tasty result. So far all the family of any age think my offerings have been tasteless. Is there a yummy recipe out there?

suzywong Sat 30-Aug-08 11:43:44

you need to ask for a capon, whole, to get the best results

real C A V is a heady, strong dish. Are you sure you don't want chicken casserole with red wine?

I am prepare to copy out the recipe of my Anthony Bourdain Les Halles book if you can assure me you are woman enough for the results?

mrspink27 Sat 30-Aug-08 11:45:40

I have an Ainslie Harriet <shudder> recipe which is a bit of a fake C au V but always goes down well....

suzywong Sat 30-Aug-08 11:48:07

Ainslie and Anthony
who would you put your money on to win a bought of naked wrestling .........?

mrspink27 Sat 30-Aug-08 11:50:16

lol

mrspink27 Sat 30-Aug-08 11:52:19

like this?

Carmenere Sat 30-Aug-08 11:52:35

Well I know who I would like to naked wrestle..........

suzywong Sat 30-Aug-08 11:53:27

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

<runs off to have a fiddle>

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carmenere Sat 30-Aug-08 11:54:19

lolololol

Marchbirthday Sat 30-Aug-08 12:08:09

Thanks Suzywong and MrsPink, it sounds as though I should go for chicken casserole with wine. The wine I have in the cupboard (white and rose - both opened but not fit to drink - so put a stopper in them to save for cooking). Should I use this or is that the problem? Is a capon just a small chicken. Think I've seen them in posh supermarkets. I have got some C A V recipes and casserole chicken with Red wine. My gut feeling is it's twhat I'm buying or the cooking method that is the problem. I never could make mashed potatoes until I was shown how much/little water to boil the potatoes with, and introduced to a hand whisk.

suzywong Sat 30-Aug-08 12:14:13

lovely, lovely Marchbirthday.
If you can't drink it you sure can't cook with it

please don't think me overpoweringly condescending if I suggest you get yourself to the shops and buy a sachet of coleman's casserole mix and a pack of chicken thighs, an onion, a carrot, some buttom mushrooms, some cream, some fresh parsely, some dried mixed herbs and a large bottle of wine for yourself and your favourite chocolate bar and use that to placate your demanding yet vague family.

We can talk you through it step by step if you like

Me and Carnemere are chefs, and I 'm guessing MrsPink is pretty handy in the kitchen. I bet you are an expert in your particular field and if we needed help in that we would call on you.

I'm going back to gnawing that bone, so to speak, excuse me

Marchbirthday Sat 30-Aug-08 12:14:15

I'm doing jobs and then as I finish one giving myself the treat of 5 minutes on MN each time I finish a job. Off to hoover the stairs now, back to peruse your wisdom shortly.

suzywong Sat 30-Aug-08 12:19:25

this one looks good
it would go well in a slow cooker.

mrspink27 Sat 30-Aug-08 12:37:58

This is the ainsley one... I never do the brandy bit... and as with all this type of dish its better if cooked longer or the next day lightening coq au vin

Marchbirthday Sat 30-Aug-08 13:07:41

thankyou. Both of those look good, and it sounds as though I do need chicken on the bone or capon. Will check later for any other tips... next job hoovering under the settee cushions; I wonder what delights I will find there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now