Advanced search

Peanut butter for school packed lunches - yes or no?

(9 Posts)
pacinofan Sat 30-Aug-08 08:42:31

Thinking of new ideas for dd's school packed lunches, just wondering about peanut butter. Is this a no-no given peanut allergies, or does it vary school to school?

3andnomore Sat 30-Aug-08 09:39:10

hm...I think if they have a Peanut allergic child they will probably let parents know...

but might be worth asking at the school, just incase!

TrinityRhino Sat 30-Aug-08 09:40:04

you would know if your school was a nut free school

SlartyBartFast Sat 30-Aug-08 09:40:14

school let us know that we can't .. quite recently.

Guadalupe Sat 30-Aug-08 09:42:18

We used to be able to but since the school joined up with another local one we've nad a letter saying thetre are now children with allergies. I'm sure you would know.

Guadalupe Sat 30-Aug-08 09:42:46

edam Sat 30-Aug-08 09:44:02

I'm not convinced they would let you know - I only found out about ds's school rule by asking other parents!

Guadalupe Sat 30-Aug-08 09:45:45

Really? Not very responsible of the school then. Our letter says no nuts of any kind, cereal bars must be checked and so on. There is more than one child with a severe allergy.

steamboat Sat 30-Aug-08 09:50:05

My ds is peanut allergic but the school is not nut free. Children are asked to was their hand thoroughly with soap and water if they have eaten nuts before or during school to avoid cross contamination of surfaces etc. They should also be aware that they aren't allowed to touch each others food. I think its getting quite unusual to have no nut allergic children in a school now. My ds's school of 200 pupils has 5 with peanut or nut allergy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now