Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WOW. My first breadmaking experience rocked. I have yogurt bread COVERED. What can I make now?

(13 Posts)
Cappuccino Fri 29-Aug-08 20:30:57

covent garden soup co's yogurt bread recipe was awesome

kids ate it

I ate it

dh ate it

all great

now looking for more EASY, you-don't-need-a-breadmaker-for-this, yeast-free recipes

anyone got any?

lucysmam Fri 29-Aug-08 20:35:47

yogurt bread? what's that then? I've never heard of it but am interested . . .

bran Fri 29-Aug-08 20:37:40

Irish soda bread is yeast free. My mum used to make it quite a lot and I'm sure there are loads of recipes on the internet. It doesn't need to be kneaded but it does need to sit somewhere warm to prove for a bit.

ecoworrier Sat 30-Aug-08 15:00:33

I never prove my soda bread. Make it in less than 5 mins, cook it in about 25 mins. Gorgeous.

gerbo Sat 30-Aug-08 17:32:23

sounds yummy ecowarrior - can you post the recipe or is it too fiddly?

Cappuccino Sun 31-Aug-08 10:29:59

oh yes eco I think you should

I shall put my yogurt bread in recipes for everyone's delight

hang on

Cappuccino Sun 31-Aug-08 10:39:34

here it is, I think

lucysmam Sun 31-Aug-08 13:26:32

Cappuccino, do you think you could add some sort of flavour to it? since natural yoghurt doesn't really taste of anything much.

Am still going to give it a go either way just for something to do!

Cappuccino Sun 31-Aug-08 17:10:10

lucysmam it doesn't need flavour, honestly, it's lovely

lucysmam Sun 31-Aug-08 17:15:37

oh, fair enough then, will just do it as it is! ta very much for recipe smile

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Sun 31-Aug-08 17:48:31

Just printed off to try later.

Thanks

ecoworrier Sun 31-Aug-08 18:20:19

Loads of soda bread recipes around, but here is the one I use:

1 lb bread flour (all-white, all-wholemeal or mixture) - some recipes just use plain flour, I prefer bread flour

1 tsp salt

2 tsp cream of tartar

2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Mix above ingredients together. Then add enough milk to bind it together. I can't remember the original quantity, think it might have been about 1/4 pint, I just add it until it makes a nice dough, not sticky.

Most recipes say use buttermilk. You can use ordinary milk or you can 'sour' it by adding a spoonful or so of lemon juice to the milk. Or use yoghurt.

Once you've brought it together into a dough, spend literally 30-60 seconds kneading it gently and shaping it until you have a nice round shape, about 8 cm diameter.

Put onto a baking tray. Using a large knife make 2 cuts into the bread, almost as if you were going to cut it into quarters but changed your mind so you only cut a bit of the way through!

Bake in pre-heated oven at 190-200 deg C until cooked through and nicely browned. Most recipes say up to 40 mins, but in my oven it never takes longer than 25-30 mins.

You can cut it into slices (although it's best eaten really fresh it is fine for next day's packed lunches), but I usually cut it into 8 wedges, so each piece looks almost like a triangular scone!

Serve on it's own just buttered, or with jam (home-made of course!) or with soup or a ploughman's or, well with anything!

This is a great recipe for when you realise you haven't got anything for lunch in less than an hour's time! Easy for children to make on their own too.

lucysmam Sun 31-Aug-08 19:07:19

Haven't had soda bread since last time I was at family's in Ireland! Will add that to my book as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now