Talk

Advanced search

can you make scones with plain flour?

(9 Posts)
aleene Thu 28-Aug-08 20:38:21

I have milk to use up and was going to make scones. Will they work with plain flour?

Lomond Thu 28-Aug-08 20:49:40

Hi, I have done in the past, they don't rise as much but they will still taste good. Do you have any baking powder?

MaureenMLove Thu 28-Aug-08 20:49:41

You need to add tsp of baking powder to every 8oz of flour, but they'll be fine.

dinny Thu 28-Aug-08 20:50:59

can you give foolproof recipe you usually use, anyone? <<sos for hijack>>

aleene Thu 28-Aug-08 20:58:43

Threw out out-of-date baking soda about 3 weeks ago! Is Bicarb of Soda any good?
<useless baking emoticon>

MaureenMLove Thu 28-Aug-08 21:00:00

8 oz flour
1tsp baking powder
2 oz butter
pinch of salt
1/4 pt of milk
2oz fruit

Do the bread crumb thing with the flour and butter, add all the dry stuff and mix. Chuck in the milk bit at a time. 1/4 pt might be too much or too little. Roll out to 1 inch thick and cut with a cutter or glass. Glaze with beaten egg, bung in oven for 15 mins'ish!

That simple enough for you! grin

MaureenMLove Thu 28-Aug-08 21:01:33

I think you need to use bicarb with cream of tartare!

Not going well for this spare but of milk, is it? Can't you have a really indulgent milky hot chocolate or coffee instead?grin OR have you got any pudding rice?

aleene Thu 28-Aug-08 21:07:41

Rice pudding would be lovely but I bet you a tenner that the pudding rice is out of date too. Really must get a grip in the kitchen...

dinny Fri 29-Aug-08 11:35:46

thanks Maureen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now