Talk

Advanced search

never done packed lunch before, what do you give?

(17 Posts)
lucysmam Thu 28-Aug-08 20:00:54

it's for oh who starts his new job next monday (nothing special but something's better than nothing) and we can't really afford for him to eat in the canteen for the first week or so. So, I'd like to send him off to work with a decent packed lunch, I just don't have a clue where to start other than sarnies/fruit which would get boring I'd imagine!

tia smile

morningpaper Thu 28-Aug-08 20:05:30

is he just starting reception? Are you really talking about a grown man here?

sarah293 Thu 28-Aug-08 20:06:15

Message withdrawn

MaureenMLove Thu 28-Aug-08 20:29:17

Oh, stop it you two! wink It's a nice thing to do isn't it? Make your old man a pack lunch on his first day at a new job? Admittedly, by the time he's been there a week, I'd be bored stupid by doing it and he'd be doing his own, but I think its nice!

In answer to your question Lucy, I would make tuna pasta or rice salad or maybe get some wraps instead of bread.

I made DH's lunches all this week btw. Dont normally, but he's been in the office 7am - 7pm and I'm on school holidays! Seems fair.

lucysmam Thu 28-Aug-08 20:33:19

lol morning paper, yes a grown man! I just wanted to do something nice! <scuttles off to corner to sulk about meanies>

Thank-you Maureen, tuna pasta sounds a good idea since he likes pasta anyway & wraps instead of bread would make a pleasant change! I wouldn't normally make his lunch but figured since I was going to be here playing with lo and looking after the house all day I would make lunches until we get 'settled in' with money since we'll have a new budget to get used to and then he could eat from whatever the canteen has to offer

MaureenMLove Thu 28-Aug-08 20:37:39

Makes perfect sense to me! I sometimes cook a chicken breast and shread it, then mix it with crispy bacon and mayo. That's nice in a wrap with a bit of lettuce. (This is what DD has for school btw, DH has had the same bean and rice salad I made on Tuesday everyday!grin)

Umlellala Thu 28-Aug-08 20:38:13

dh usually tyakes leftovers from our evening meal - can he heat stuff up at work?

lucysmam Thu 28-Aug-08 20:39:07

I could quite happily eat something like that Maureen, definately!

morningpaper Thu 28-Aug-08 20:43:01

grin

ok well it really depends what he LIKES

if there's a microwave then heat up some dinner, but not rice, because he might DIE obviously (or something)

or just massive MAN sandwiches with ham and cheese or something

Kbear Thu 28-Aug-08 21:54:28

My DH works a 12 hour shift leaving the house at 5am - he goes to bed early and I always make his packed lunch. Tis things like that that make a marriage tick in my old fashioned, about to be shot down in flames, humble opinion!

I'm just cherishing him like I promised in church and he in turn cherishes me by being out of the house for 14 hours a day so I can mumsnet - PMSL!!!

Incidentally, he has granary rolls with chicken salad, or french stick with something or other lovingly prepared by moi! Greek Yoghurt with honey and heaps of fruit and bottle of water. He doesn't have access to food or drink where he works so has to take the lot with him.

lucysmam Fri 29-Aug-08 08:16:06

morningpaper I lol@ MAN sandwiches. He'd probably be happy with sarnies tbh, just thought it might be nice to have something different.

Kbear, I don't know what food is like where oh will be working & we can't afford it yet anyway. I don't think it's old fashioned. I thought it was fair enough to offer for the first week or so since I will be home with lo. And yes, I know there's housework and lo's can be hard work before anyone tells me so but he's making the money I'm in charge of!

Greek yoghurt with honey/fruit sounds like a good one as does french stick with 'something or other'.

Will have a look what 'something or other' I can get tomorrow!

octavia Fri 29-Aug-08 08:56:28

Flask of soup & some thick bread,quiche & salads, sandwiches with leftover roast,wraps,leftover pasta with roast veg,loads of fruit, flapjack,cake, occasionally a chocolate bar and bottled water.Mine hasn't complained so far.Ds takes the same as his dad so Its easier for all to do both at once

lucysmam Fri 29-Aug-08 10:10:31

soup's a good one! oh loves soup!

pinkspottywellies Fri 29-Aug-08 17:14:14

<takes notes> I make dh's packed lunch every day and walk round to work to drop it off for him [sad, boring SAHM]. So shoot me! He usually gets sandwich, crisps, fruit and yoghurt/kitkat/cake. I sometimes give him leftovers from our dinner and usually only do something like pasta salad/soup/wraps if we've run out of bread!! Must try harder blush

fryalot Fri 29-Aug-08 17:18:36

dp used to take a packed lunch and he liked the odd boiled egg in his lunch-box.

Also, sausage rolls or pork pies or something of that ilk.

I used to do his sandwiches at lunch time of the previous day then cling-film them and keep them in the fridge - twas less actual work that way. Some people do a full week's worth and freeze them, just pulling one day's worth out of the freezer each day, I'm going to do this next time I have a partner/child needing to take butties grin

mazzystar Fri 29-Aug-08 17:21:09

dh takes dinner leftovers [pasta, curry, rice stuff, couscous]
if he hasn't ganneted them during the evening

lucysmam Fri 29-Aug-08 20:40:52

pinkspottywellies, I'd have to set off just after him to walk there!! But I think it's a nice thing to do, shows you appreciate them . . . sometimes hmm

mazzy, my oh does that with leftovers! all the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now