Talk

Advanced search

30th Birthday - Tier of Cupcakes - Naff, or ok? opinions pleeeeeeeease

(14 Posts)
FrazzledFairyFay Wed 27-Aug-08 20:14:22

It's one of my best friends' birthday on Saturday night. Her DH is in a panic as he hasn't ordered a cake and is now too late to get anywhere to make one for her.

I have foolishly agreed to step in. I have guests all day Thursday, a party to go to on Friday morning and am away Friday night until 3pm Saturday - which doesn't give me much time, to put it mildly!

And.... the cake is to be served to 50 people at a 'cocktail party' at her house.

I think the most sensible thing for me to do would be a tier of posh cupcakes - does that sound ok? My friend is very girly and loves Boden, Nigella Lawson, Kath Kidston, pink gingham, etc. So, to avoid me having to go to a proper cake decorating shop which frankly I have zero time to do, I thought I might take a leaf out of Nigella's book and do half each of pale pink and white cupcakes in silver cases - with jelly babies or dolly mixtures to decorate. Nigella has them in her Domestic Goddess book and they look quite nice.

Honest opinions please - Will this be ok, or am I mad???????

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 27-Aug-08 20:40:04

sounds great smile
look at my profile..
we did cupcakes for M&D's 60th party.

Moomin Wed 27-Aug-08 20:40:51

Fab idea - had similar for my 40th, only not as nice as yours sound! I put them on a cardboard stand which someone gave me a link for on MN and then draped the stand in fairy lights as well. Did take a fair while to get ready though - but then I'm a bit of a sausage-fingers

janeite Wed 27-Aug-08 20:53:04

Sounds lovely. What time do you want us all?

MaureenMLove Wed 27-Aug-08 20:57:47

What a lovely idea! <<makes a note for dd's birthday in 4 weeks time>>

lucysmam Wed 27-Aug-08 21:07:56

oooh yeah!! lovely and girly! I'd be well chuffed if someone made them for me . . . <flutters eyelashes> grin

definately jelly babies too, bestest sweeties ever imo

FrazzledFairyFay Wed 27-Aug-08 21:36:19

Thanks everyone. Now I just have to make them..... grin

lucysmam Wed 27-Aug-08 21:40:17

make me some while you're at it!? they sound lovely, I'm sure your friend will appreciate them smile

bozza Wed 27-Aug-08 21:42:42

Have you got a stand? How are you going to arrange them? I agree btw - good idea.

micku5 Wed 27-Aug-08 21:47:49

If you are looking for some tiered cake stands I got this one from Ikea.

dizzydixies Wed 27-Aug-08 21:50:32

I did it for dd2's christening and my cousin loved it so much she had it for her wedding too in May smile

I also had a retro pic n mix for the buffet at our wedding so I think it all sounds great!

ThatBigGermanPrison Wed 27-Aug-08 21:51:03

You must have those mad red teddy bear and jelly snake sweets, with the jelly snales on the bottom layer and the red teddies on the top layer./

BRING ON THE TRUMPETS

FrazzledFairyFay Thu 28-Aug-08 21:59:40

I don't have a stand and really don't have time to get one, so..... I have two platters, which I have covered in silver wrapping paper. And I have a large can of soup which I've covered in the same paper and I am going to use that as a make-shift stand. I have spent 2 hours tonight baking the chocolate brownie cupcakes and I'm really pleased with them - the icing will take place on saturday afternoon - that's the tricky part.... Watch this space hmm

FrazzledFairyFay Fri 05-Sep-08 20:34:30

Quick update, for anyone that cares wink

I didn't do sweets in the end. I went for silver balls, sugar flowers and sprinkles from Sainsburys. I did pink and white buttercream in various different patterns. they went down an absolute storm and my friend was thrilled.

Thanks for all the advice and support smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now