Talk

Advanced search

Bolognese sauce??

(11 Posts)
bluestripes Wed 27-Aug-08 19:09:47

Do you think it is ok to give my one year old DS spaghetti Bolognese that I have made with a dolmio tomato sauce or should I make him one of his own and make the sauce from scratch?

Quattrocento Wed 27-Aug-08 19:11:49

Well giving him Dolmio is okay in a nutritional sense I suppose - but I am worried you will ruin his tastebuds for life

thechunkymonkey Wed 27-Aug-08 19:13:43

If in a hurry I use Ragu for kids, no salt or sugar added and 3 different varieties including various veg. When I have more time I make a sauce using, Butternut squash, onions, tomatoes, carrots and brocolli, whizz it all up with a blender - 5 portions of veg right there.

madcol Wed 27-Aug-08 19:15:31

What is the salt content? Personally never go near bottled sauces as often very salty and taste second best compared to home made.

tazmosis Fri 29-Aug-08 00:33:36

Should be ok if you don't give him much else with salt in. The odd thing really doesn't hurt - we worry too much.

saramoon Fri 29-Aug-08 14:38:17

thechunkymonkey, i like the sound of your homemade pasta sauce. How much do you use of each vegetable and can you just make loads and just freeze what you don't use?

misi Fri 29-Aug-08 14:40:28

saramoon, this is quite off putting!! you have my sisters name grin

saramoon Fri 29-Aug-08 15:26:01

What, real name?

misi Fri 29-Aug-08 18:08:42

yep

MrsJamin Fri 29-Aug-08 18:32:10

I wouldn't worry about the salt content, it's the startling amount of unnecessary sugar in those sauces that I don't like! Once in a while won't do any harm but frequently, I'd steer clear.

DontNeedAnything Fri 29-Aug-08 18:35:15

TBH I find it just as easy without teh jars.

I just use 2 tins of tomatoes (or 1 tin toms and 1 carton passatta) and a veg oxo in place of the jar and then a sprinkle of herbs at the end.

Although having said that I always add my own veg (onions, mushrooms, celery, sometimes peppers) to Dolmio anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now