Talk

Advanced search

Tomato for a 6 month old?

(5 Posts)
ChocolateMouse Wed 27-Aug-08 18:50:53

I am currently going through weaning my 6.5 month old LO and we're trying to do it the BLW way.

I have a concern though. I can't remember where I saw it but I read that it is not advised to give to a child this young. Does anyone know if this is true? Is it a problem if it's raw? How about cooking with tomato puree and cooked tinned tomatoes?

A lot of the sauces that I cook are tomato based and I would love our LO to be able to have them if possible.

thechunkymonkey Wed 27-Aug-08 19:19:38

I think it might be to do with allergies when it is raw, however saying that I used to peel tomatoes then chop really finely and put in little cheese and tomato sandwiches when weaning dd, at around 10 months. Annabel Karmal suggested it and thats good enough for me. Get her book. I lived by it when I was weaning my dc.

ChocolateMouse Wed 27-Aug-08 20:02:38

Thanks TCM - I've seen the book and heard about it and now that you've mentioned it I think I'll take your advice smile

misi Wed 27-Aug-08 21:24:30

tomatoes are part of the nightshade family of plants, the later you can leave it to give to a child the less likely of any problems, but skinning and de seeding does allow earlier consumption, just don't give too mauch as toms can also raise the acidity of the urine which can be very painful to a baby/child.
cooking a tomato releases the lycopene content you hear so much about in the medditeranean diet, but locked away in raw toms, but cooking can intensify the acid and intolerance properties hmm

ChocolateMouse Wed 27-Aug-08 22:37:27

Oh Wow - thanks for that misi; I had no idea! All taken on board. Darn, I'll have to wait for a bit then sad

Glad to know all this now rather than later though, thanks so much smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now