Talk

Advanced search

Ok Slow Cooker uses, convince me to buy one, rave about it, make me part with my money!

(3 Posts)
Fizzylemonade Wed 27-Aug-08 15:39:39

I have been looking at these for a while and have seen a rice cooker/slow cooker all in one.

I do cook a lot of rice and the thought of freeing up the hob space and the rice cooker being able to keep the rice warm once it is cooked appeals.

So, for the slow cooker part - what do you cook, are there good recipe books out there? Can I do a risotto in it? I don't usually cook a whole chicken but do chicken breasts.

Can you brown stuff in it or would I have to do that first in a pan? (that's not a big deal for me)

TheHolyGrail Wed 27-Aug-08 17:54:06

Rice cookers are ace - have a cheapy one from IKEA and works well. You can even do some one pot type dishes in it - kedgeree / pilaf.

Slow cookers - excellent too esp. for certain joints that need long slow cooking. Tend to brown stuff off in a pan then add in - it works best if everything is hot when it starts to cook. Not done risotto but have done rice pudding - so don't see why not (tend to use Arborio rice for rice pud anyway as much nicer).

Note stuff like dried beans WON'T cook through in a slow cooker - make sure you boil them for at least 10-15 mins before adding to a slow cooker.

Pressure cookers also work well (hisssssss).

Fizzylemonade Wed 27-Aug-08 18:22:08

Pressure cookers scare me although I know that I am being irrational! They are perfectly safe.

Thanks for the advice about the dried beans, I tend to use mixed beans from a can.

Anyone else????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now