Talk

Advanced search

Help - struggling with moving to meals we can all eat for weaning

(9 Posts)
DarrensMarjie Wed 27-Aug-08 12:53:18

Hi Ladies,
Desperate here - as buby is now saying yuck to things and I am tired of cooking seperately for her (she is 6 and 3/4 months old). Any suggestions for low sodium but yummy recipes we can all enjoy?
Thanks!!!

SqueakyPop Wed 27-Aug-08 14:55:02

Are the meals you already eat as a family unsuitable for the baby?

lucysmam Wed 27-Aug-08 21:13:25

I just used to whizz up whatever we were having that day for her to try a bit of while we were eating. Unless you add loads of salt to your cooking she should be fine with whatever you're eating I would have thought.

Also, at that age, my lo took to spitting food out, not because it was 'yuk' but she was learning to blow raspberries & we quite often got sprayed with whatever she was eating!! It might not be what you're serving up for her, just raspberries or poking her tongue out or something like that maybe

halogen Thu 28-Aug-08 13:52:16

Just leave the salt out of whatever you are cooking anyway and either give it to her to pick up or mush it up for her. Something like stew with plenty of carrot and potato or tomato sauce with veg on pasta will be delicious for her. If you and the rest of your family want salt, you can add it afterwards when the food is on your plate. You can also give her a piece of bread or some extra pieces of soft-cooked veg to eat with whatever you're having.

Medowflowers Thu 28-Aug-08 13:57:21

Tomato basil and red lentil soup. I make it really think, so its like a broth. Chunky bread for those that can manage it.

3 carrots - peel and chop so chunky
big hand full red lentils
onion- finely chop
stock - low sodium, marigold stuff and use half the amount you would usually
bit black pepper
basil

Cook till carrots just about done, then add carton of passata. Cook for 5 more mins.

I made this up whilst weaning ds2, and we ALL LOVE IT.

blitz it if you want or sqush the carrots with a fork for weaning

umbungo Thu 28-Aug-08 15:38:15

in the same boat! will watch thread with interest!!

RubySlippers Thu 28-Aug-08 15:41:52

just give her what you are eating but before you add salt or shed loads of alcohol (but even then cooking burns the alcohol off)

spag bol
pasta bakes
baked potatoes
roast chicken
poached or grilled fish with potatoes

Lentilly based soups are good too

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Thu 28-Aug-08 15:41:58

I know she has her detractors but I used a lot of Annabel Karmel recipes. Pasta with Popeye sauce was a particular favourite at the time. But beware, some of AK's recipes are more fiddly than others!

DarrensMarjie Thu 28-Aug-08 20:59:51

I guess the problem is that we are a bit naughty and eat some stuff from the freezer...so will need to cut that out and am looking for family friendly meals.

Had some success yesterday as I just wizzed up the chili I made before the salt was added. Went down a treat. Tuna bake tonight was not so hot - although it did have a bit of salt in from the cheese and from the sauce - I didn't make from scratch but thought that it was sufficiently trace to not be a problem. She had some but wasn't 100% thrilled.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now