Talk

Advanced search

Veggie meals for meat eaters

(7 Posts)
Gloria42 Wed 27-Aug-08 11:01:36

In light of increase in food costs, and being stuck in a rut with current meal options, I'd be really grateful for any suggestions in veg-based meals to cut down on meat consumption.
DP & I (and DS) both meat-eaters and I need hearty food that won't make us feel that something is "missing" IYSWIM.
DP is also coeliac, but I'm managing to work around this for most things.
Thanks smile

lucysmam Wed 27-Aug-08 11:15:41

I've been doing the same thing with oh, just trying out something new every now and again.

How about a dahl with lentils which someone suggested to me on mn and is very yummy. Or a fish pie? pasta bake with loads of yummy cheese melted on top?

spokette Wed 27-Aug-08 11:21:52

Omelettes, quiches, vegetable curry, vegetable stir fry, replace mince with green or brown lentils in cottage pie or bolognese sauce, vegetable chilli.

Gloria42 Wed 27-Aug-08 11:28:21

We like beans and lentils, so the idea of replacing mince with them sounds great.

dereelicte Wed 27-Aug-08 11:36:15

How about Onion Cream Tart, Chick Pea Tagine or Vegetarian Moussaka (all on the MN recipe pages). Satay Tofu or Tofu Nasi Goreng (there are threads with recipes for these).

If you don't want to replace mince with lentils, you could try soya mince. You can get really cheap dried soya mince in Tesco or in most health food shops (costs less than a pound for a bag that lasts for at least three big meals). Or there's also the frozen Vegemince and Quorn Mince which are more expensive than dried soya, but prob cheaper than meaty mince (I've never bought proper mince!).

How about risottos?

I often replace ham/bacon in recipes with sundried tomatoes. e.g. Spag carbonara.

Oh - just re-read your OP and have seen that you're coeliac, so I guess pastry and pasta are more tricky for you. I think some of the frozen veggie minces might have wheat in them, but the dried pure soya should be fine.

Roast vegetables with Halloumi Cheese is good.

Tuna is relatively cheap (tinned) - lots can be made with it.

Gloria42 Wed 27-Aug-08 11:41:05

Have had a little success with gluten-free pastry, so onion tart would be ok (can't do pasties yet as pasty just falls apart when I try to move it) and DP has his own pasta (g-f)
MN recipe pages, do I get there from homepage?

Gloria42 Wed 27-Aug-08 11:44:41

Found recipe link on home-page - lots of possibilities!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now