Talk

Advanced search

vegan children: when/how do you start explaining why they can't have cow's milk etc

(9 Posts)
earlyriser Tue 26-Aug-08 19:23:07

My dd is approaching 3 and i'm just beginning to tell her that her dad drinks cow's milk but we don't. Then I get the inevitable WHY? so far I just say 'because it belongs to the baby cows', but when do I go into more detail? How do/did other vegan mums begin to explain to their dc?

MinkyBorage Tue 26-Aug-08 19:28:03

lol

TooTicky Tue 26-Aug-08 19:31:05

Why lol? hmm

Does she ask for more detail?

earlyriser Tue 26-Aug-08 19:34:04

Not really, she is just at the WHY? stage and will repeat this a few times. Tbh, the milk bit is easy, I just don't know how I explain about meat when the concept of killing/dying doesn't really register. DP eats meat but it is not cooked in the house!

earlyriser Tue 26-Aug-08 19:35:01

What age are your children TooTicky? seem to remember a vegan thread with your name in it!

TooTicky Tue 26-Aug-08 19:40:16

Do you have vegan/veggie friends/family?
My dd1 (11) has been through phases of eating meat/dairy/egg but has now decided to be vegan.
Ds1 and ds2 (9 and 6) both eat "pig sausages" with their dad. They also eat cheese and egg.
Dd2 (3) is mostly vegan.
Your dd may want to experiment with eating other things, especially if daddy does, and it is hard as hell but I think probably a good thing in the long run as they can then make informed decisions.

As far as explanation goes, I'd just keep it simple for now - that you don't eat anything that comes from an animal because it's not kind/fair.
Also, cows' milk is designed for baby cows - to help them grow into big cows - not for people!!

The Viva website may be helpful, also the Vegan society.

earlyriser Tue 26-Aug-08 19:48:45

I've been vegan myself for 18 years, but no one else i know is vegan (at least not in my area) know a couple of 'veggies' but who eat fish hmm. Had a couple of incidences at playgroup when dd was given cow's milk and pancakes, but wouldn't have known she wasn't 'allowed' them! so thought it best to start slowly explaining what we did and didn't eat!
Yes fully expect her to try other things at some point. Luckily no macdonalds etc for 30+ miles!
Will try those websites. Thanks!

MinkyBorage Thu 28-Aug-08 20:27:34

Ok, I'm shocked and amazed that someone would teach their child that they should be and are vegan, I think it should be down to the child to make their own decision when they're old enough.
I thought this was a joke, that's why I posted lol. Sorry, I disagree with your decisions but I dodn't mean to be disrespectful!

yellowvan Thu 28-Aug-08 20:44:10

Ds is vegan at home but will have cheese, chocolate, icecream and cake if out, he describes himself as vegetarian. Have always explained to him by saying thay I don't like milk because I think it is really intended for the baby cows , and eating eggs is like eating really really baby chickens. Perhaps I'm lucky that it's never been an issue. Tbh, his after school club has pics of chn all over saying "I'm  allowed xxx but I'm not allowed yyyy" wrt allegies and parental wishes. It's normal now, that chn won't all eat the same thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now