Talk

Advanced search

bit early to think about this i know but . . .

(8 Posts)
lucysmam Tue 26-Aug-08 13:13:25

I would like to make an xmas cake this year for our family and one for mil. she usually makes a traditional fruit cake though, which only fil at their house and me at mine like. so does anyone have any idea what i could do instead. I thought maybe something white & sparkly (snowy maybe??) with snowmen on and xmas trees and the like. anyone any thoughts?

& please don't tell me i'm way ahead of myself, I know, am just in planning mood today for some reason or other!

hopefully Tue 26-Aug-08 13:26:51

If you wanted to be traditional, maybe a chocolate log?

I made a devil's food cake (heavy chocolatey cake, think mine also had some fruit in, but there's loads of different recipes) once instead of a christmas cake, and covered it in white egg white frosting (can't remember the recipe off the top of my head, but it involved egg whites and caster or icing sugar), and I did the frosting in little peaks, stuck some holly on top, et voila!

sherby Tue 26-Aug-08 13:41:16

Hey quit it

It is AUGUST YOU CRAZIES

hughjarssss Tue 26-Aug-08 13:43:15

Don't you have to start making xmas cakes now? So they have to mature or something.

I would love a traditional xmas cake recipe for a begginer if anyone has one

stirlingmum Tue 26-Aug-08 13:48:20

Pssssst Hugh! Look here.

Cant go wrong with Delia! I use this one.

hughjarssss Tue 26-Aug-08 13:51:26

<< puts on secrative whisper voice>>

Thanks stirling wink

MaureenMLove Tue 26-Aug-08 13:52:17

Well, dh has instructed me to get all the stuff he needs to make the Xmas cake this week. The longer you have it made, the longer you can feed it with booze and the juicier it is imho! grin

I don't know what recipe he uses, but I would imagine most cook books have one. DH says the key is to soak the fruit in brandy for a couple of days before you make the cake. After its made, turn it upside down and prick holes all over the bottom, then wrap it in a double layer of tinfoil and put it an airtight box. Once a week, pour a couple of table spoons of brandy over the cake.

lucysmam Tue 26-Aug-08 13:58:19

hopefully, chocolate log sounds about right!! will google for a recipe later on when lo in bed. although alcoholic xmas cake sounds tastytasty too but thought we'd have a change since oh isn't keen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now