Advanced search

UK Equivalent to half and half?

(5 Posts)
monkeymagic Tue 26-Aug-08 11:00:07

Just got an ice cream maker, and all the recipes in the booklet use "half and half". Quick bout of googling shows that this is a type of light cream, mostly used in the US.

Can you get it in UK supermarkets? If not, what could I use instead? Preferably with something you can get in the local Co-Op, because the DC are now gagging for ice cream.

MascaraOHara Tue 26-Aug-08 11:01:16

could you use buttermilk?

or literally mix half cream with half skimmed milk or something?

SqueakyPop Tue 26-Aug-08 11:12:53

It's cream with about 12% fat - so about half of single cream.

I think you can possibly buy half-cream, or you can make your own by diluting single cream with milk.

Buttermilk is more yoghurt-like.

monkeymagic Tue 26-Aug-08 11:30:27

Thanks all. I will go for cream plus milk - seems like the most obvious route.

SqueakyPop Tue 26-Aug-08 11:52:46

Just check the % of butterfat on the cream you buy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: