Talk

Advanced search

Blackberry jam?

(9 Posts)
murphyslaw Tue 26-Aug-08 10:34:31

Have a huge haul of blackberries which DH picked for me yesterday grin I want to make some jam has anyone got a recipe?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 11:03:36

I've just made some, popped it into jars a few moments ago - tis very yum!!
Much better than last years attempt (first time) where it set into toffee in the pan.

I used 2lbs blackberries, 2lbs preserving sugar (which I thought had pectin in it but it didnt) half a lemon and (2 windfall apples that had fallen from neighbours tree to provide the extra pectin)

I warmed the sugar in oven at 100C
Heated and softened fruit with lemon juice and a bit of water until I was happy that fruit was soft.
Then, added the sugar, stirred gently til sugar dissolved then boiled hard.
I tested way too many times but after the mix had darkened a bit and looked lslightly jammy I tested again - plopped a bit on a plate that I'd kept in freezer, left it for a minute then pushed it with my finger, it felt thick and was beginning to wrinkle a bit.
I put it into jars (and lids) i'd sterilised using beer kit sterilising solution - then for good luck i put the empty jars in the oven after with the sugar. Didn't have waxed discs so i used grease proof pape to entirely cover the surface of the jam then put the lids on.

dd says its almost as good as belgian chocolate grin

good luck

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 11:05:14

just to add that last year I waited til the def wrinkled stage and it was so over set we had to carve it; this time I put it in jars at the hint of a wrinkle and it seems fine.

murphyslaw Tue 26-Aug-08 11:25:06

thanks so much - thats my project for this afternoon! Homemade bread tomorrow - cant wait!!! grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 11:28:40

Hope it goes well

fillybuster Tue 26-Aug-08 12:58:44

Alternatively, this works really well if you just chuck everything (same quantities as OYBK) in a large saucepan with a very small amount of water, then leave over a v v v low heat stirring occasionally until the sugar melts. Bring to a rolling boil and check for set point after about 4/5 mins. I made about 2 kilos worth last year and the family were fighting over it Got 4 kilos in the freezer ready for a large scale jam making session in a few weeks time grin

Oh, and you can sterlise jam jars in the microwave (a la Nigella) - fill about 1/3 full of water and place on high for 10 mins. But you do need wax discs etc if you haven't sterlised the lids

Good luck

cece Tue 26-Aug-08 13:04:50

I usually just wash my jars with hot soapy water. Drain but with some water still on, then zap in microwave for a min or two on hihg. Done this for two years now and no mould grown yet...

I am currently making marrow jam... Just done my first wrinkle test but giving it another 10 mins...

Agree it only has to just wrinkle to be ready.

murphyslaw Tue 26-Aug-08 17:16:01

Jam completed - its perfect thank you! Kids fighting over it already grin

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 26-Aug-08 21:18:00

brilliant - well done!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now