Talk

Advanced search

do your kids eat curry?

(32 Posts)
Yorkiegirl Mon 25-Aug-08 23:39:16

Message withdrawn

Skramble Mon 25-Aug-08 23:44:53

Mine like Kormas too, will have a nibble of other dishes too. Jar kormas are not too bad i like Pataks. What age are yours?

handlemecarefully Mon 25-Aug-08 23:46:30

I make my own korma sauce with garlic, cream, the relevent spices, almonds etc. Takes about 5 minutes to whizz up the sauce in a food processor. If I remember tomorrow when I am feeling more lively and awake, I will check the ingredients and post it.

thornrose Mon 25-Aug-08 23:48:52

My dd 8 loves spicy food, her dad is Jamaican so she has eaten West Indian food and seems to have a taste for it. I think you should make your curries from scratch as normal perhaps a little milder to start with and give to your dd with some cucumber raita on the side.

TsarChasm Mon 25-Aug-08 23:50:31

Mine quite like it if it's mild.

I'm a bit deflated though. I've often spent ages carefully cooking curry, following recipes hoping they'd love it. They said it was ok.

But we went camping recently and had a couple of tinned ones. They can't get enough of the stuff hmm We had it today actually. At least it's quick.

gigglewitch Tue 26-Aug-08 00:14:39

my lot love them, I tend to make my own most of the time as the kids are all dairy intolerant. They do love a 'jalfrezi' (sorry sp?) out of a jar but i tend to throw an extra tin of chopped tomatoes in with it to spread it a little, as it were. My lo's love strong flavours and are into anything with a bit of curry, spice and stuff in. Naan bread goes down a treat too.

FWIW if i'm doing a quick supper for me and DH, I really like the "Iceland" own-brand Korma, which is an absolute bargain price as a bonus, also the ASDA ready-made sauces come up a favourite for us. Really though, your own are soooooo easy to throw together, it really is worth a go wink

<appologies for excessive use of word really - too late to use whole vocabulary hmm>

NattyThomasAndEllen Tue 26-Aug-08 00:42:25

my kids like all curries i have tried them with, from mild to medium, i find some of the jars are good, its trial and error really!

MarsLady Tue 26-Aug-08 00:44:04

Yes! You could always add natural yogurt to the curries that you make for yourself. That way they get the flavour with less heat! smile

stirlingmum Tue 26-Aug-08 09:54:23

My dc do. I make them myself though as little dd had dairy & nut allergy and you get nuts in most jar korma sauces.

I get red or green thai curry paste. Cook a small amount (for dc) in a pan with some onion, add the chicken (or whatever you are using) then add a tin of tomatoes and a tin of coconut milk. Tasty!

SlartyBartFast Tue 26-Aug-08 09:55:24

mine like dahl,
and my youngest all the titbits that go with a curry, samosas, naan bread.
i also make raita

lisalisa Tue 26-Aug-08 09:56:57

Mmmm - sounds all really lovely - stuck for dinner tonight- would anyone mind posting a nice creamy mildish type curry recipe as well as extras that slarty mentins?

NomDePlume Tue 26-Aug-08 09:58:36

Mine do, always have done. They are 16, 14.5 & 6. The eldest and the youngest both prefer very mild curries, so korma & pasanda (sp. The middle one likes it a bit hotter, but not as hot as Dh and I like it (a,though neither of us are Vindaloo fiends).

NomDePlume Tue 26-Aug-08 09:58:37

Mine do, always have done. They are 16, 14.5 & 6. The eldest and the youngest both prefer very mild curries, so korma & pasanda (sp. The middle one likes it a bit hotter, but not as hot as Dh and I like it (a,though neither of us are Vindaloo fiends).

SlartyBartFast Tue 26-Aug-08 10:04:56

blush
the extras i buy, although i often make the curries, always making the dahl, which is lovely and easy and raita

lisalisa Tue 26-Aug-08 10:31:11

Do you have a reicpe for hte curr yitself slarty? By the way don't blame you for buying extras - was v impressed that you even served extras!!!!

murphyslaw Tue 26-Aug-08 10:36:54

try annabel karmels fruity chicken curry - its seriously good and all my children have eaten this since they were little!

I still make it - and my DH luvvvs it. You can vary the intensity but I use a korma curry paste.

BroccoliSpeels Tue 26-Aug-08 10:42:41

My 2-year-old loves Delias egg and lentil curry.

SlartyBartFast Tue 26-Aug-08 10:47:17

the daal, um tarka daal is from a book rather than web.
pound of red lentils, ( i usually use half)
2 pints of water (ditto half)

bring to boil, then add onion and garlic and teaspoon tumeric, dash of salt (which i usually forget)

cook til consistently of sloppy porridge, quick fry sliced garlic add to daal along with teaspoon cumin seeds.
enjoy.

raita is, accroding to my book, yoghurt, dried mint and cucumber. (though there are other varieties)

mabel1973 Tue 26-Aug-08 10:58:01

Hi

sorry for the hijack, but I haven't tried my kids on curry yet (they are 3.5 and 23 months) and I am really keen to.
I know they like spicy food as I have done chicken kebabs marinated in balti spices, but they can be a bit suspicious of sauces.
I know they love tomatoey pasta sauces, so thought a tomato based sauce would be the best place to start rather than a korma.
If any one has recipe for one that would be great! smile

lisalisa Tue 26-Aug-08 10:58:59

Thanks all - broccolispeels - would it work with red lentils do you think as that is all I have today?

murphyslaw - can you print the receipe or is it online?

MascaraOHara Tue 26-Aug-08 11:00:05

my dd is 6 and eats curry - mild and medium spiced.. it's something I've always tried to incorporate into her diet though.

BroccoliSpears Tue 26-Aug-08 11:01:19

Yes, it would work with red lentils I think. Red lentils are easier for young children to digest. You would need to reduce the cooking time though as red lentils would be smush after 45 minutes.

stirlingmum Tue 26-Aug-08 11:08:20

Mabel - the one I mentioned above is mild (depends how much thai paste you use) and is a mix between tomato and creamy (with coconut milk).

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 26-Aug-08 11:15:46

dd1 age 15 months loves spicy foods but dd1 wont entertain it at all. she says it makes her tongue itch. when she was younger she would lick my jeans after eating spicy foods hmm

mabel1973 Tue 26-Aug-08 11:17:42

Thanks stirlingmum, I haven't got any thai curry paste, but am going to give it go with some of my balti spice mix, at least i know they like that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now