Talk

Advanced search

if i add a red chilli to dahl, will it overpower it?

(11 Posts)
lucysmam Mon 25-Aug-08 15:59:34

because i didn't think it was hot enough last time i made it, but wasn't sure if it was meant to be very spicy or quite mild if that makes sense?

fishie Mon 25-Aug-08 16:00:42

how funny, was just looking up dahl recipes myself three chillis here.

suzywong Mon 25-Aug-08 16:02:01

"a chilli" is a highly generic term
there are many varieties and each has a different strength.

Only one way to find out

lucysmam Mon 25-Aug-08 16:02:49

cheers fishie, wasn't too sure but will do now, just to give it a 'kick'!

might try that one next time too, looks yummy

lucysmam Mon 25-Aug-08 16:04:24

its a red one from the supermarket suzywong, don't know what variety as i threw the wrapper after using the 2 green ones because it ripped and was driving me nuts looking soooo untidy (have a thing about a neat & organised fridge)

suzywong Mon 25-Aug-08 16:13:27

put it in with out the seeds, they are what contain the heat

if it is too hot, serve your dahl with a cucumber and yogurt raita.

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 25-Aug-08 16:17:39

Surely it's up to you and what kind of heat you like?

lucysmam Mon 25-Aug-08 16:35:13

I just wasn't sure if it would overpower it a bit BecauseImWorthIt but think I will do as suzywong suggested and serve with raita just in case it is too hot and take the seeds out before putting it in.

thanks smile

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 25-Aug-08 16:37:38

Go on, I dare you - put it all in ..... grin

witchandchips Mon 25-Aug-08 16:40:32

taste it. The end away from the stalk is milder. Note it is actually the fibres that grow from the stalk that hold the seeds in that are the hottest bit,

warning if you scrape out the seeds with your fingers please please wash your hands carefully before taking out your contact lenses or goosing your dp in bed!

lucysmam Mon 25-Aug-08 19:11:22

pmsl@goosing dp in bed witchandchips!! I didn't know that about the end further away from the stalk but have made a not for future reference. I only put the end away from the stalk in anyways and oh thought it was hot enough (guess I have to compromise there). Always scrape them out with a knife and wash hands several times after handling chillies, learned that the hard way rubbing my eyes once when I was younger . . . ouch!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now