Talk

Advanced search

this may sound dense and not make much sense upon reading but here goes. . .

(13 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 21:30:45

I was going to make dahl for tomorrow's tea. However, we're going out with mil at about 2pm and wont be back until late (6-7pm). If I make the dahl before we go, & leave it in the pan for the afternoon but with hob switched off will it be ok to re-heat when we get in tomorrow night? Hope that makes sense!!

Othersideofthechannel Sun 24-Aug-08 21:38:20

Yes, as long as you heat it through.

I usually make it the night before, leave it to cool in the pan overnight, put it in the fridge in the morning and reheat it the following evening when we eat it.

Shitehawk Sun 24-Aug-08 21:39:40

I'd put it in a bowl in the fridge for the afternoon, then put it back into a saucepan to reheat it.

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 21:40:23

thanks Othersideofthechannel, wasn't 100% sure so thought I'd best check! That's going to make life so much easier tomorrow smile

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 21:41:11

even if it's not totally cooled Shitehawk?

Othersideofthechannel Sun 24-Aug-08 21:41:36

But Shitehawk, you not supposed to put hot food in the fridge.

Shitehawk Sun 24-Aug-08 21:42:33

Yep. It will cool down quickly enough, and I'd feel happier that I wasn't going to poison anyone if I'd refridgerated it!

Shitehawk Sun 24-Aug-08 21:43:33

So make it half an hour earlier so it's had longer to cool wink

I'd feel happier cooling the stuff in the fridge than leaving it out for five or six hours.

Othersideofthechannel Sun 24-Aug-08 21:44:32

But it could bring the temp of the fridge up which is not good news if you have meat in the fridge. I'd rather keep the dahl at room temp than risk the meat not being stored at the right temp.

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 21:44:47

hmmm, good point. i could always stick it on while we have brekky and get sorted so that it does have time to cool i guess, just have to get oh to keep an eye on it too so it doesn't burn to bottom of pan

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 21:46:45

well, you've managed to put me in a pickle now thanks ladies grin i'll make earlier and leave to cool and put in fridge at last poss minute i think, should have had plenty of time to cool that way

Othersideofthechannel Sun 24-Aug-08 21:47:20

Yes, that would be ideal if possible.

Because of work constraints, I usually cook (veggie food) in the evenings for the following day and haven't poisoned anyone yet.

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-08 21:51:01

i think next time if we're out that's what i will do! thank-you both for helping me out smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now