Talk

Advanced search

Bottkes to cups - SOS

(13 Posts)
Poo2 Thu 17-Feb-05 19:17:22

That stands for save my sanity. Am trying to get ds to drink milk himself from a trainer cup. Have bought him some with nice soft spouts on - the Tommee Tippee ones. He might take one sip, but then just pushes it away and grizzles, or just flips the spout cover back and forth until I want to scream. If I take the lid off he might take a couple of mouthfuls. I have tried it with him on my lap like when he has a bottle, in his highchair and just left it on the tray, on the floor etc etc. He shows no interest in drinking from it at all, but clearly wants his milk as, just once to check, I put in a bottle and he chugged the lot. What do I do? Am sick of washing bottles.

fisil Thu 17-Feb-05 19:23:58

does he have any weight/health problems? If not then just persevere. It'll take him time to get used to it. But he'll learn much quicker that if he pushes you he can get you to give in - so don't let him learn that!

Ha, easier said than done, I know. But he won't let himself starve.

Surfermum Thu 17-Feb-05 19:26:05

What about trying a cup with an in-built straw. DD used to really struggle to get anything out of anyway up cups and similar, but had no problem sucking through a straw.

Hulababy Thu 17-Feb-05 19:26:07

DD never got on with beakers with spouts. We used a Doidy cup instead(from www.bickiepegs.co.uk) - a cup with no top/spout. DD much prefered this and used it far more successfully that a beaker.

anchovies Thu 17-Feb-05 19:27:02

I am the same but have given up now. He goes crazy if I offer him a cup and I've tried them all. My thinking now is that I'll just have to wait until he's ready to drink his milk from a proper cup. He now just has two bottles a day, morning and night so washing them isn't as bad.

How old is he? Does he drink everything except milk from a cup?

Lonelymum Thu 17-Feb-05 19:32:33

How old is he? I know from experience it does come eventually. Maybe start by giving him a drink you are not bothered whether he drinks or not - something between meals. Gradually increase the times you give the cup. First thing in the morning is good because he will be thirstier maybe? You could also try cold turkey - don't give way to bottles and he will drink eventually through pure thirst, but I know it is hard to watch them not drinking anything at all.

fisil Thu 17-Feb-05 19:33:13

Yes, how old is he? We've got ds to give up his evening bottle this week (he's just turned 2). We went out and let him choose a set of mugs and then we all have our hot drink of choice at milk time. He helps get everything ready (putting tea bags in our cups) and we all sit down together. He likes feeling like a big boy but he does keep asking for "other milk" to which we keep replying "there's your milk" until he drinks it. We can only half fill it as it is so heavy for him and at the moment he needs constant supervision, but at least the changeover was fairly painless.

Frizbe Thu 17-Feb-05 19:37:48

ah we had this problem, then when she hit 15 mths, bam, will drink anything out of anything? in the meantime I have 1 x anyway up cup, 1 x co-op beaker, 1 x tommee tippee anyway up cup, 2 x advent cups and 1 x steady cup, what a mug am I

Poo2 Thu 17-Feb-05 22:22:02

Thanks for the tips ladies. He's only 10 months, love him, so I thought I'd start trying to wean him off bottles one feed at a time. We have all the time in the world though. I have started with his morning milk feed as he's thirtiest then, and if he won;t tkae it he has weetabix with his formula in so I don;t worry about him not having enough milk in a day. Have heard about the doidee cups, but he seems very reluctant to hold handles on these kinds of things. Maybe I will give them a go. Thanks all.

Chuffed Fri 18-Feb-05 16:03:15

What bottles do you use. Try the avent spouts in the bottles rather than their magic cups. dd takes these with her milk but will drink water out of anything. (also 10.5mths).
Keep perservering and hold the cup like you would the bottle, eventually he will want to do it himself.

fredly Fri 18-Feb-05 17:20:37

Sorry for asking, this could be a very stupid question but here I go: why bother with cups and beakers ? these are relatively new things, babies used to stay on the bottle for a very long time, until in fact they could drink from a normal glass. Is it because it's better for their teeth ?

lockets Fri 18-Feb-05 17:43:17

Message withdrawn

somebody Sun 20-Feb-05 20:24:27

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now